Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Will Androids be getting Extreme Quality too?

Solved!

Will Androids be getting Extreme Quality too?

Now that the iPhones/Ipads have gotten Extreme quality of 320kbs on their mobiles, is this something coming to the Android mobiles as well?

I have the 320 on my desktop, but having the increaseed bit rate on my phone would help me justify the 10 bux a month.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

@FubarFrenzy wrote:

Are the droids just dead in the water?  I'm still baffled that iPhone/iPad have Extreme Quality, but droids are still in the dark on this. 

There is light in the form of a beta release - this allows high quality streaming and downloads and fixes a lot of other issues too: https://www.spotify.com/se/download/previews/

----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

View solution in original post

26 Replies

I think it should! Why are Android users being discriminated like this?

It sure needs an update! Soon spotify will probs start loosing tons of customers. It's so many streaming programs that's popping up now so. They dont even fixed the login bug yet that's bugging out ppls. Did feel like an idiot when i finally realized i had an space after my login name that affected it 😞 Update update nownow! Give us the ios thing or anything better than the current app!!

Hi, i ordered the Android Cowon Z2 from Korea, especially for the Spotify app, i received it three days ago, all i can say is i'm pretty deceived with the poor sound of the app. I didn't know iphone users had extreme quality. I'll be waiting for an update, just like you.

Simple answer is.

NO

because they have showed no intrest in updating the Android app.  I am on a rant.  I am tired of them

I am thinking of buying the Cowon Z2 to have Spotify and my music library in the same player but the poor quality of the android app is making me think twice. Why is spotify ignoring us that way? we should all stop ours subscription, that would be a clear message for them to do something about it!!

If i can give you an advice : think twice. I bought the cowon z2 for spotify, and i didn't have any bug at all, but the real problem is the volume limitation of the app (it's also the case for deezer, qobuz etc...). The only fix is to launch the mic recorder of the cowon, it unlocks the volume, but after doing that you can't click on 'home' or 'back' without hearing the volume turn down. 

My Z2 is for sale on ebay since yesterday because of this problem, i went back to my sansa clip+ with no regrets.

Do you know if rooting the device will be a solution for the volume? Thanks

Absolutely not, my device was rooted, and the firmware version doesn't change anything (i flashed the new 1.28 from the korean cowon site this morning). In fact people had the same issue with the D3. My opinion is the volume restriction comes from the apps, not the devices. Check out this conversation : http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?t=40032

By the way, if you ever have an idea to fix this, it would be great, my Z2 is not sold yet.

Perhaps this is a silly question but; do you think an external amplifier will help? If I find out something I'll let you know...

Of course an external amp will surely help, i thought about buying the fiio e11, but i like to travel 'light', i don't want an additional device.

Ok, thanks! Yes I don't want to travel with an additional device too but it could be a temporary solution until a definite fix is found. Thank you for your help. I will think about it.

You're welcome. I must say i'm pessimist about a future fix, i don't see how someone could modify the app itself. All we can do for the moment is use the 'mic recorder' trick or turn up the cowon eq, but this causes a terrible background noise.
One last thing : the sound of the spotify app is low but it's good with the Z2, and it may be still better when it  will deliver 320kbps, like the iOS one.

Now that the android beta app offers Extreme Quality, how does one go about updating the music that has already been downloaded at lower quality?

tia,

alex

@alexmar wrote:

Now that the android beta app offers Extreme Quality, how does one go about updating the music that has already been downloaded at lower quality?

tia,

alex

Assuming it doesn't automatically start re-downloading (haven't connected to wifi yet to see) then you'll need to clear the existing downloads and set the playlist to 'offline' again. To clear the current stuff either long-press the playlist or click the little arrown next to it on the right and choos 'Undownload'

----------------

Thanks, but when i 'undownload' the existing downloads (playlists) they isn't any longer in offline mode but they isn't deleted from cache. So the same tracks are downloaded again if i activate offline mode. They does not redownload from Spotify. In the old client i could clear the cache and the tracks was gone. Now i can't do that. Have i missed something?

I noticed the same thing. I seems to just refresh from the cache. Very quickly.

@pelm wrote:

Thanks, but when i 'undownload' the existing downloads (playlists) they isn't any longer in offline mode but they isn't deleted from cache. So the same tracks are downloaded again if i activate offline mode. They does not redownload from Spotify. In the old client i could clear the cache and the tracks was gone. Now i can't do that. Have i missed something?

Good point - the Clear Cache option is missing from the settings menu - I'll add that to my 'missing features' thread.

Otherwise you can clear the cache by deleting the /Android/data/com.spotify.mobile.android.ui directory from the sdcard.

----------------

Does anybody know if the music can be downloaded to a external sd card? The old version let you choose if you want the internal sd card or an external one.

Thanks

The option appears to be missing from the new app. However, if you are installing the preview over an existing installation of the Market app then it appears to keep this setting intact. It only seems to be an issue if you are doing a fresh install and the app selects to download to your internal memory - this probably varies by handset and I've seen no list of which work and which have issues

----------------

Suggested posts