Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

"Hey Spotify" feature not working on Android

Solved!

"Hey Spotify" feature not working on Android

Hello. I updated my Spotify and activated the "Hey Spotify" feature but nothing happens when I say "Hey Spotify..." with the app open AND after updating it. Normal voice search works and mic permission is on. I tried deactivating and then reactivating it but no results. I don't see the options under Voice that I think I should be seeing. Force closing and opening also did not help. I'm on a Samsung and in the US.

20210806_002826.jpg

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey folks,

Thanks for your reply in this thread 🙂

We really appreciate your feedback, we know you want to make the best out of your listening experience.

At Spotify, we’re always working to deliver features that our users love. In order to make way for future innovations, we will be removing the current “Hey Spotify” voice feature within our app. Users will be able to easily access other voice assistants from our integrated partners on their mobile devices. For more information visit our support pages.

We'll be here if anything else comes up. Once again, thanks for the feedback.

AlejaRModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

View solution in original post

46 Replies

I have this same issue.

Hey folks, 

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community, and welcome. Apologies for the delayed response, we just came across this thread. 

Would you mind letting us know your device's make, model, exact OS version and the exact Spotify version you're running at the moment? 

It would also be helpful to know if you've tried any troubleshooting steps, this will help us give you better suggestions. 

We'll be on the lookout for your replies. 

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I have the same problem. I am using a Samsung Galaxy S8 plus with android 9. Spotify ver is 8.6.60.1126. If I press the mic button Spotify voice commands work as normal but Hey Spotify wake command does not. I have tried logging in and out of Spotify, clearing the Spotify app data and cache, uninstalling and reinstalling the Spotify app, restarting my phone, turning off and on the mic permissions for the Spotify app, turning off mic permissions and turning back on the Hey Spotify feature from the search page of Spotify. I do not have an option under voice on the settings page of Spotify to turn on or off the Hey Spotify wake feature even though it seems like I should. 

Screenshot_20210915-234114_Spotify.jpg

Hey @Bammcclure,

Thanks for the post.

Can you clarify if you're trying to use the "Hey Spotify" command when the app is minimized? Because that won't work. The feature is designed to be used as a voice command tool similar to Siri. It will work while the Spotify app is open and active.

Keep us posted on how you get on.

AlexModerator

I can clarify for myself: I do have the Spotify app open and active, not minimized, but Hey Spotify is not responding to me at all. If I click the microphone button, it will listen and respond, but if I say Hey Spotify, nothing happens. By the way, I am using a Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus, with the latest software update, and the latest version of the Spotify app.

Hey @callahan09

Thanks for your message. 

Would you mind letting us know if you've already tried any troubleshooting steps? This way we'll avoid repeating any steps. 

It would also be helpful to know when you started noticing this behavior. 

Keep us posted! 

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

I have this problem as well. I've had it for a couple of months, hoping each update would fix it... but no.

Galaxy Note 20 5G
Android 11
Spotify 8.6.64.1081

Have done all troubleshooting steps. Spotify is the foreground app (not minimized).

After clearing cache, clearing data, uninstalling, rebooting, reinstalling:

Log in with Samsung? No/Dismiss. Select "continue with facebook".  Click search then the microphone. Click Turn on "hey spotify". Click "Allow audio recording". Choose "while using the app".  Say a band name and it will search and play. Now say "Hey Spotify" and nothing happens. The voice search works if I click the microphone FAB.

Hey there @xamslp

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community.

Just to confirm, have you already tried following these steps?

If so, would you mind sending over a screen recording where we can take a better look at this behavior? You can send a link to it or attach it using the Insert Video option in the post editor. Make sure not to send any private info.

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Same problem, plus no landscape mode in car mode, Samsung Galaxy S10e, USA

Screenshot_20211030-221123_Spotify.jpg

Hey @adp7rvunfwnr0pn,

Thanks for the post.

The new Car Mode, which has replaced Car View is still in testing and currently does not have landscape mode.

When in Car Mode you should be able to switch between the simplified Car Mode, which should have a Mic icon in place of the Search icon. If you tap that you should be able to control the app using voice commands.

Can you let us know if that is working at all?

Keep us posted.

AlexModerator

car mode works just fine minus landscape mode. hey spotify still not working

Hi there @adp7rvunfwnr0pn

Thanks for your reply. 

Just to make sure, have you tried the steps @Alex sent previously? 

Additionally, could you send us a video of what happens when you try to control the app using voice commands so we can take a closer look? You can send a link to it or attach it using the Insert Video option in the post editor.

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

yes. several times

Hey @adp7rvunfwnr0pn,

Thanks for confirming.

As @Eni asked above, could you also send us a short video of the situation, and list all the troubleshooting steps you did yourself, so we can investigate it deeper

We'll be keeping an eye out for your reply, thanks!

Kiril Moderator

I have the same problem on Android 12. Mic search works. But "hey Spotify" doesn't do anything. Should I start a separate thread? or do you have other recommendations?

Hey @jojojo3632,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community.

Can you list all the troubleshooting steps mentioned in this thread that you've tried so far? This is so we don't repeat ourselves and know where to start.

We'll be on the lookout.

CarlosEModerator

Hey Spotify doesn't work on my Galaxy S10.

There is no "microphone above the search bar" in my Spotify app. There is a microphone to the right of the search bar and if I click on that, the voice command works but it doesn't understand "Hey Spotify"

So microphone works but Hey Spotify does not.

Hey @oliver2711,

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Community.

Can you let us know if you've tried all the troubleshooting steps mentioned in this thread? This is so we avoid repeating anything and it'll help us narrow down the possible cause of this behavior.

Keep us posted.

CarlosEModerator

@CarlosE this is me keeping you posted, you still have an issue.

Suggested posts