Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

"Spotify is trying to play..." Notification

Solved!

"Spotify is trying to play..." Notification

Plan

Premium

Country

Turkey

Device

Samsung Galaxy A71

Operating System

Android 10

My Question or Issue

Steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Open Spotify

2. "Spotify is trying to play..." notification appears immediately.

3. Head back to Android's home screen.

4. The notification persists.

5. Force Spotify to stop from the app's settings.

6. Notification disappears.

The notification also disappears if you play some music in Spotify.

P.S. I've already tried to reboot my phone and re-installing the last version of Spotify.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @hasan-ozbey,

Thanks for getting back to us and for the video.

We recommend that you go to Android Settings>Apps>Spotify and turn off all notifications before them back on again. If afterwards the notification still pops up, could you test if leaving only Playback on fixes things?

Keep us posted. We'd love to investigate this further. 

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

26 Replies

Hey @hasan-ozbey

Thanks for posting - we’re here to help!        

Could you confirm if you experience this after running a clean reinstall of the app on your device? This step is more thorough than a regular reinstall in removing corrupted data that could be causing the issue. 

If this persists after a clean reinstall, send us a screenshot of the notification you get. Just attach the image to your next response to us by using the Insert Photos option in the post editor. This way we can take a closer look at the issue. 

Looking forward to your reply. Enjoy your day! 

Hey, thanks for the response!

It seems like your clean reinstall suggestion didn't work for me. I'm leaving the screenshot here as you've requested.

Screenshot_20210419-124502_Spotify.jpg

Hey @hasan-ozbey

Thanks for getting back to us. 

In case this persists, make sure no battery optimization settings or data cleaning apps run active on your mobile device. Such features can often prevent the app from operating at full capacity. We also suggest accessing the app settings and making sure all Permissions are granted for Spotify. 

Just to confirm, do you observe this only when connected to a certain Internet connection? If possible, we'd suggest connecting to a different network (for example, if this is happening when you're connected to WiFi, try switching to a 3G/4G connection). 

If it works with another connection, it’d be a good idea to troubleshoot further the original one (for example by restarting your router). You can also reach out to the service provider of the original network so that they can take a look on their end as well.

Hope this helps. Keep us in the loop here.   

Ivan, I've followed every suggestion that you've mentioned in your post with no luck.

But I might have found it. The issue arises when I add the Spotify widget on the home screen. Everything seems fine without the widget. What to do now?

Thanks in advance.

Hi @hasan-ozbey

Thanks for your reply. 

If possible, could you try using a different mobile device to see if the same thing happens when you add the widget to the home screen? 

Let us know how it goes so we can continue investigating. 

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Hi Novy, unfortunately I've got only one Android phone to play around. I'm getting more confident as time goes by though... This gotta be a widget related issue.

Hi again @hasan-ozbey

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. 

Let us know the app version you're currently running. 

Also, could you send over a video where we can take a better look at this issue? You can send a link to it or attach it using the Insert Video option in the post editor. 

We'll be on the lookout. 

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

I'm on v8.6.18.720

I'll give you a drive link for the video since maximum allowed size is 5 MB here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/130kY_erDEDmaaRr36KefT_CLo4hULh9B/view

Marked as solution

Hey @hasan-ozbey,

Thanks for getting back to us and for the video.

We recommend that you go to Android Settings>Apps>Spotify and turn off all notifications before them back on again. If afterwards the notification still pops up, could you test if leaving only Playback on fixes things?

Keep us posted. We'd love to investigate this further. 

Mihail Moderator

Hi Mihail,

After trying a few different combinations, I can confirm that leaving "Spotify Music" choice off from the app's notification settings fixes the issue.

Hey @hasan-ozbey,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

We're happy to hear that the issue got resolved for you. Let us know if there's anything else we can help out with.

Happy listening! 

Mihail Moderator

this doesn't solve anything, this only hides the notification.  I have the same issue, but I'm looking for a solution that stops Spotify from attempting to run when I'm not actively using the app, not just hides the notification while continuing to work in the background without my knowledge.

Hi there @confusedbee

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. 

Could you let us know which troubleshooting steps you've already tried? That way we can avoid any repeating steps.

On another note, could you let us know if this started happening after a specific event such as an update?

Lastly, sending us the exact make/model, operating system and Spotify version of your device would come in handy.

We'll be on the lookout for your reply. 

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I had the same issue for months. As the above guys said, turning that particular notification off only hides the notification but it's still running in background. And yeah, it happens when you add the widget to home screen but don't open the app to play something. Because maybe it's trying to get the data for the widget album thumbnail which is empty until you open the app and the song appears along with the notification error mssg disappearing

Hello.

I'm with the same issue. Hide that notification only hides the bug... but it's not solved at all.

This issue start happening to me when I added the Spotify widget to the home screen.

I have to say I'm very disappointed trying to tell us on the answer before that it was solved hiding the notification.

Please, we need some real answer about this.

Hey folks! 

Thanks for all the info you've sent so far. 

Could you provide us with the following info? We'd like to investigate this further.

• Make/model and OS of your device
  • Spotify app version
  • Troubleshooting steps you've tried

We'll be on the lookout for your replies.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Thanks for your answer.
Here are the requested things:

• Make/model and OS of your device: Google Pixel 6 PRO; Android 12.
  • Spotify app version: 8.6.96.422
  • Troubleshooting steps you've tried: put on the main home screen the Spotify widget. Then when the phone is rebooted, a "Spotify is trying to play" notification appears. Until PLAY button on the app is not pressed, the notification doesn't disappear.
    Hidding the notification isn't a solution, because we lost the posibility of other app notifications.
    NOTE: If the widget is removed, the notification when the phone is rebooted doesn't appear, so the error is there.

Thanks in advance.

Any other thing you need, please let me know.

Samsung SM-A505FN/DS Android 11
Spotify 8.7.2.1205
I do not have any Spotify widgets. I do have Spotify playlist track chosen as an alarm clock sound.
And as alarm plays it does show "Spotify is preparing to play an alarm" notification. And that does not disappear after alarm has being snoozed and dismissed.

I see no point in showing this notification first place. Tells user nothing and nothing can be done with it, it even cannot be dismissed from the notification list. I can only open Spotify notification settings from that.
So the simplest and best solution would be getting rid of it alltogether.

If it is somehow good for anything or anyone, at least make it disappear after the alarm started playing.
Speaking of notification settings, see the file attached. Titles of the notification types I switch on and off tell me absolutely nothing about what these are about. Except "Playback", that one is more or less clear.

Screenshot_20220211-143301_Settings.jpg

Any updates on this, Spotify?

Thanks

Suggested posts