Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

trouble with continuous listening to songs

trouble with continuous listening to songs

I just updated my sportify app on my sony xperia z2, but for some reason, my music won't go to the next song when the song i started with ended. This happens only (I think) with songs that aren't from spotify. If i want to go to the next song i have to do it manualy, but thats kinda annoying. I tried restarting my phone but that didnt work. I have no clue what the cause is of this problem, but before the update i had no problems with the app.

sorry for my bad english writing, but i hope you understand my problem 😛

39 Replies

Can you try a clean install? There's a guide linked in my signature detailing the best way to do this.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

I'm having the exact same issue. everything worked fine before the update. doing a clean install now. will report back.

edit: doing a clean install seems to fix this issue for me. but doing a clean install everytime spotify has an update can't be a solution.

edit2: nvm didn't work

I thoght my phone broke. I also have this problem. I've tried clean unistall, but nothing works. Please help, this is really anoying...

I'm having the same problem in my Samsung S4 Mini, it seems that songs that aren't from Spotify (local files) doesn't play next song. When the song you selected ends, you need to tap next because it won't play continously. Hope they fix it soon!

I'm also seeing this since the update to v2.2.0.636. Playing any downloaded local song works fine but playback stops at the end of the song. The controls show that Spotify is still playing, rather than stopped or paused. Skipping forward works correctly. This does not happen with songs downloaded from Spotify.

I'm on an HTC M8, unlocked European version, running Lollipop 5.0.1. I haven't tried a clean install because quite frankly I'm fed up being told to delete and reinstall hundreds on songs each time a new bug is introduced.

@rgg wrote:

I'm also seeing this since the update to v2.2.0.636. Playing any downloaded local song works fine but playback stops at the end of the song. The controls show that Spotify is still playing, rather than stopped or paused. Skipping forward works correctly. This does not happen with songs downloaded from Spotify.

I'm on an HTC M8, unlocked European version, running Lollipop 5.0.1. I haven't tried a clean install because quite frankly I'm fed up being told to delete and reinstall hundreds on songs each time a new bug is introduced.

@rgg wrote:

Hi there. I'm running the same device as you... Think this thread may help you: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Android/PLEASE-READ-Android-5-x-Lollipop-Distorted-playback-so...

Android Troubleshooting:

Ok nvm clean install didn't fix it. Only works if I'm still in the same network as my pc. as soon as I leave the network or close spotify on my pc the issue is back again.

I'm now back at the 1.8 version of spotify and it works again. definitely an issue with the 2.x version not working on kitkat.

I just reinstalled spotify with version 1.9.0.1273, seems to work ok, so definately a bug somewhere in the latest release.

Having the exact same issue as the original poster of this thread.
I'm also owner of a Sony Xperia Z2, with the latest available Android Firmware (4.4.4) and Spotify Version (2.2.636).

At first I was having some little issues with storing the songs to my device, right after the list was fully downloaded, the entire list ended up being 'deleted' again. After a few retries it succesfully stored the songs on the device.
Unfortunately, whenever I play a local song after the update of last friday, it ends up being stuck at the end.
Only when there's interaction between local and Spotify songs, (Playing a Spotify song after a Local one or vice versa), it will keep on playing.

I've also noticed that the player UI is having some issues, it keeps on saying Loading... and the thumbnail remains default, to resolve this I either have to press the pause button or hit the progress slider.
And whenever I drag the progress slider back to the beginning after the song has 'ended', the progress slider will remain ticking while no audio is playing at all. 

I've done a cache deletion, also an app reinstall, and I'm not able to disable that nuplayer since I'm not on 5.0 yet.

I hope this is enough info. o/

The issue hasn't solved for me tho... I want old update back or fix soon 😞

I'm having the same problem on my S4; it seems to have started after the latest update. Everything works fine on my PC, but local tracks I've downloaded to my phone don't play the entire queue, they pause after every track and I have to manually advance them. I've tried deleting the cache, uninstalling and reinstalling the app and the PC software, changing the name and location of the local files and re-downloading/re-syncing them. I've basically tried everything to no avail. I'm really really getting tired of paying for this broken service on my phone. It seems like every time an update rolls out my local files get messed up and I usually have to re-sync them.....

Just adding my experience to the list, but I'm having the same problem on my S4 as well. I was under the impression this was simply an extension of some problems I've had with local files in the past, but it looks like it's picked up with a lot of you lately.

dinomightSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Same deal here. Having this issue on my Oneplus One, but not having the problem on my laptop. I am not yet on Lollipop so the previous suggestion did not apply to me.

This is so odd because it worked perfectly fine for a couple days when I initially put the local files on Spotify, but now it's totally broken. Might have just coincided with a recent update, don't know.

Also having this issue on the OnePlus One with Spotify version 2.2.0.636.

Never had any problems with local/downloaded files before and neither signing-in-and-out, nor clean reinstallation has solved the problem.

The issue appears to arise only when playing local/downloaded files in offline mode; shuffle mode, gapless playback and crossfade settings have no discernable impact.

Tracks added manually to the play queue are not affected (i.e. Spotify won't stop in-between user-queued tracks).

I heavily rely on downloaded playlists at work to maintain my cognitive function above that associated with root vegetables so will be reverting back to an older version until this is fixed.

Yes, I'm having the same issue on my GS4. I posted my own query on the topic the other day thinking it had been caused in someway by me making an alum available offline. I hadn't realised that the fault seems to affect local files only until reading this thread. How do you revert to previous versions of the app?

I have also been having this problem since I updated. I am using a Moto G.

This seems to be affecting a lot of users since the last update.

I have escalated this issue to the team and it will be looked into. Hopefully we will see a fix as soon as the Android team can trace & fix the fault.

If you want to revert back to 2.1.0.903 temporarily you can grab the apk from my Dropbox here

Android Troubleshooting:

I have the same exact problem... I did the clean re-install and nothing helped... I thought it was just me or that my phone was broken (I tend to drop it a lot)... glad to know it's a known issue, but SO annoying... Also, my music often doesn't sync for offline even though I have tons of space... I am almost tempted to switch to a different music player... 

Same issue after the last update, Samsung Galaxy S Advance. At least we are not alone on that matter, hope they will fix it soon.

Sometimes queueing tracks works, half of the times actually. So you maybe try it out 😉

Suggested posts