Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Remove Audiobooks

Remove Audiobooks

I made the mistake of clicking on an audiobook and now when I open my spotify desktop app "audiobooks you may be interested in" take up a 1/3 of my page.  Does anyone know how to get rid of this, or even better exclude audiobooks altogether?  

44 Replies

If you're willing to use third party solutions, you can install spicetify and use custom css to get rid of the section. There's plenty of tutorials on how to do it, but the basic gist is following this: https://spicetify.app/docs/getting-started/ and then adding a snippet in the new marketplace button.

Here's the css snippet if you plan on fixing it this way:

section.main-shelf-shelf[aria-label='Audiobooks you may be interested in'] { visibility: hidden; position: absolute; }

Same issue. Just started a subscription with Spotify after using Apple Music for last few years and already this is annoying me…

it is not hard to allow us to disable sections that don't apply to us, or at the very least allow us to reorder the order in which things are displayed on our homepage. i don't listen to any audiobooks, and certainly not on spotify yet this is taking up the first row of my home page and is entirely blank - why would you think this is a good UI/UX experience? let alone the next bar is podcasts where i can't remove suggestions from shows i only listened to once...you all continue to fail at UX (the first being your decision to not keep the custom order of playlists on mobile when trying to add a song to a playlist...i'll never get over having a new order displayed to me every time based on the last playlist i added to)

I think I have found a fix to this, go to Notifications > Audiobooks (or Podcasts & Show Recommendations) , then turn off the notifications with the switch. The audiobooks and/or podcasts will then hopefully disappear from your homepage and notifications. This worked for me but I don't know if it works for sure. 

Having the same problem

I don't listen to audiobooks and have never clicked on one. "Audiobooks you may be interested in" has shown up on the most prominent place on my homepage from day one. It's freshly annoying every time.

Never going to click on another audiobook in Spotify because it will haunt me to the grave. Get off my homepage, "Great Audiobooks".

Just clicked on the audiobook tab, which then autoplayed Viola Davis ranting"**bleep** sucker, mother **bleep**er". 

I pay for spotify to get music, not only do I get spammed with podcasts I don't want, now I have to be careful what and where I click in case more profanity spews forth from my phone!!

Really not on, give us an option to hide books and podcasts, after all we are the customers.

same problem here...I don't want these erotic books on my page.

I've just come back to Spotify after a year, and the Home Screen is a hot mess. The "Good Morning" section contains podcasts I listened to a long time ago, and have no intention of listening to in Spotify. I'm not even following them. Then there's the audiobook section, which includes a single audiobook I made the mistake of listening to the sample of. I can already get audiobooks at far lower cost from Audible. 

While I appreciate that Spotify make more money if I listen to podcasts or buy audiobooks rather than listen to music, it is music I pay the Premium for along with, I would think, the vast majority of your users. Removing these sections could be a premium option - I also acknowledge the need to monetise people using the free tier. 

As it is, I'm already longing for the cleanness of Apple Music which just contains, er, music. 

Hey Spotify:

**bleep** your shitty attempt at monetization.  And fire the management that forced UX devs to approve this.
Definitely not a Swedish company anymore, has become fully Americanized.

But for iOS?

Seven months later and still nothing. Spotify customer support is beyond terrible. They are essentially useless and just tell you to post here and MAYBE it might gain enough traction that someone FINALLY PAYS ATTENTION TO THEIR CUSTOMERS. Obviously by seeing the 7 year old , 6700 upvote post about adding a thumbs down, this is just a customer service graveyard they can send their customers and pretend they care.

Capture4.PNG

This is my front page right now, I get greeted with **bleep** Lovers 5 every time I open the app. It is beyond absurd that I can't get rid of this or better yet, get rid of the Audiobook ADVERTISEMENTS all together. Been a loyal customer for over a decade. Not sure how much longer that will be the case.

My attempts at asking customer service about this solutions to this were met with:

- transfers between agents

- a suggestion to turn off Personalized Ads, predestined to fail, I assume to prove that they at least tried a reasonable answer

- a pretty blatant attempt to get me to wait for the system to refresh so agent could try to disconnect while I was looking elsewhere

- and finally "no, we don't have the means to remove this audiobook or delete your browsing history at this time".

Screenshot 2023-04-14 165144.png

Screenshot 2023-04-14 172258.png

Screenshot 2023-04-14 172408.png

Dude, I've switched to Apple Music full-time because of this, which is a bit of a bummer. Spotify WAS just a music streaming service (arguably the best), but those days are long gone. It'll take a few months or even years for AM to figure out my tastes etc...but at least it won't ever be polluted by God damned audiobooks and podcasts. The fact that they just won't allow users to separate them says it all. Plus AM isn't that bad, like a lot of these services, the more you use them the better they get. It's funny when I see articles comparing music streaming services. None seem to mention that Spotify strictly isn't in that category anymore, as it's like a hybrid of Stitcher, Audible, and just music and the app full of extra **bleep** you won't ever listen to. It's like comparing Netflix to Cable TV full of ads for **bleep** that I won't ever buy. Heh, maybe they preparing to upsell us to Spotify Ultimate, hi-res with JUST music.

@carrigroe That’s double-funny actually, because of Apple Music’s policy of irrevocably deleting all the music you had stored in your music library to be replaced with streaming, calling any homemade music “pirated”, then refusing to restore the hours of stored music if you ever quit the service. 
That’s a hard no from me. 

I agree, I hate it. However, for profit corporations must maximize profits.

I'm similarly sick of stuff being pushed on our homepage that we can't get rid of. Podcast and audiobook recommendations clog up so much space and we don't even have an option to click "not interested"/"remove from suggestions". I am sooooo sick of audiobook recommendations. I've never listened to their audiobooks nor do I ever intend to. When contacting support all they said was to make a Community post, while Spotify clearly just ignores Community posts.

Yep, get these books to **bleep** off my app and my playlist. If I want a book I’ll go looking for it **bleep** the **bleep** off you **bleep**ing **bleep**ers. 

Well, it's nice if you have to drive a long way.

Suggested posts