Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Car Thing- no power adapter

Car Thing- no power adapter

Recieved my car thing today with no power adapter, tried an old one i had laying around but it did not work, i emailed spotify to see if they could send me another one. if I went and bought a 12v adapter would that work or does have to be spotify one?

3 Replies

Hey @Joshpeppiatt44 

Sorry to hear there wasn't a car power adapter included in the box.

It should work if you bought a car power adapter that provides at least 12 watts (12 W) to the USB port.

A common car power adapter available is 24 watts total (12 watts for each port) and some of them have more watts per port. If you're looking to charge a phone as well it might be a good idea to get one with more watts per port that way you can use the car power adapter with other devices too if there are multiple ports.

In the manual here:

https://carthing.spotify.com/guides/user-manual

It says:

Electrical rating

Car Thing: 5.0V Max ⎓ 1.2A Max

Power adapter: Electrical Rating: 5.0V ⎓ 3.1A

Power

Average power consumption, operational: 5W

Peak power consumption: 10W

Idle power consumption, 12V plug: 0.06W"

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Car thing max volts are 5 and max current is 1.2A then how can peak power consumption be 10W?  At that max you either at 2amp at 5v or 8.3 volts at 1.2amps?    

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

iPhone SE, 2019 VW Jetta

Operating System

iOS, apple car play

I bought a car thing a long time ago and when I went to college, I left my car with my family. I think one of them accidentally took the car thing cord or adapter or something. I tried to plug it back in and power it back on, but it's telling me to use the "adapter" that came with the device. 

Does that mean the cord is the problem, or the USB plug thing is the problem? I don't know where they would be, can I buy a new one without buying a new car thing altogether?

Suggested posts