Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Use Car Thing without adapter?

Solved!

Use Car Thing without adapter?

Plan

Premium

Country

US

Device

Pixel 5

My Question or Issue

I drive a Mazda Cx-5 and the cigarette lighter is inside the storage compartment NOT in the center console. I do have 2 USB ports in the center console which would work perfectly but there doesn't seem to be a way to use it without the adapter. It would be super inconvenient to string the USB cable from the storage compartment to the center console (in fact I don't even think the cord is long enough). I can't be the only person who's car is made with the cigarette lighter hidden, is there any current or future work around for this?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Spellxthief pretty much said the correct thing. The Car Thing can be plugged into a USB outlet (doesn't have to be the included car USB adapter) but it has to have enough power. If it's not getting enough power then that message will come up that says to use the included USB car adapter. I think in this case the only thing that will work is to use a long USB cable to where you can plug the car adapter in.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

13 Replies

you be able to just plug it in to usb, doesn't have to be the lighter plug thing

I tried, a error message comes up telling me I have to use the adapter and there's no way to bypass that screen

oh that's weird, those usb ports probably aren't at least 12w but i don't know much about car usb ports. hopefully someone else will give better advice rather than just buy a longer cable. i have mine plugged into the wall next to my desk to check it out and it's worked from the start with both the included cable and a longer usb-c cable. good luck though! sorry i couldn't be more help!

No worries! I appreciate the response and I'm glad it's working for you! 🙂 I did end up swapping the cable so it's not so in the way so that will be my solution for now. Other than that, I'm digging it! 

Marked as solution

Spellxthief pretty much said the correct thing. The Car Thing can be plugged into a USB outlet (doesn't have to be the included car USB adapter) but it has to have enough power. If it's not getting enough power then that message will come up that says to use the included USB car adapter. I think in this case the only thing that will work is to use a long USB cable to where you can plug the car adapter in.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Also make sure the car thing cable is connected properly. I connected first to a USB to my PC then tried a really powerful USD Power adapter and was getting the same thing asking for car adapter. Turned out the cable in the back of the thing takes some effort to push it all the way, I think is the the cable, I was afraid I might brake it. The metal part doesn't have to stick out, it has to be properly plugged in. Test with your phone to understand how a usual USB-C cable is plugged in and how the provided cable with the thing does. Hope it helps.

This worked for me really pushed it in all the way!!!!!!!! TAHNK YOUUUUU

I had a similar error. Someone else pointed out that you have to push the cable into the back of the car thing than expected. There shouldn’t be any visible silver part of the plug and it shouldn’t be easily pulled out. After I plugged it in all the way the error message went away!

Having this same issue. Everything plugged in fine but can’t get this message to go away. 

I just got one, had the same issue and figured it out.
When plugging it into a monitor USB hub or my hub the laptop attaches to, it gives that message even when I know it's producing enough power to power the device. HOWEVER, when I just plug it into a USB power adapter, like the free/cheap ones that come with phones and plug it into an outlet it works fine. Also works fine plugging it into the USB port built into a power strip I have.

It just doesn't seem to like to be plugged into anything attached to a computer.

Oh and that's for connecting it as a controller for spotify on my desk for my computer. I'm just assuming it has the same issue for the car, it needs to be plugged int a "brainless" USB port. At least that's my take on it. I could be wrong, but it worked for me.

TLDR; use a smaller power brick.

First the USB-C cable supplied was not manufactured right. Secondly, I just had this issue and spent some time fixing it and realised that the old iPad brick (with any USB-C cable) was supplying too much power though the same message of using the of not enough power was showing up. So yea use one of the iPhone bricks instead of a beefier one and that should do the trick

Im using my car thing for a little desktop thing, I had the exact same issue and I figured out the last button on the far right top if you press it enough it will bypass the warning, also make sure that it does have enough power as that might be a requirement

Suggested posts