Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Other] Please make genderstar in german language optional

Hello Team,

as i wrote in the subject, i would like to request you to create a second kind of german language setting, one "traditional german" option and one "gender sensitve" option for those who like this more than the traditional german.

For me i have to say that the gender sensitive variant of the german language is really hard to read and gives with every star within the words an opstacle.

Thanks in advance and best regards

Thomas

Updated on 2023-03-30

Hey everyone,

It seems that this idea ended up in the wrong board accidentally, so we're bringing it back.

We're keeping the previous Case Closed status, as we don't have any immediate plans to implement this. As soon as we have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here.

Take care.

Comments
Baloux

Absolutely agree on this! 💯

Heidebomber

Great!

blechmusi

@spotify: why did you close this survey? There is a need for a German language localization with correct grammar!

ropad

Great suggestion mate!

Ingenium

To everyone who took the time and effort to make an account here to vote for this idea: There is a policy stating they will keep popular ideas open for voting for 18 months "to gather 500 votes". Since this idea was proposed in February 2021, it will be open for voting until August 2022, even when closed. Currently there are around 450 votes, so only 50 more votes are needed to make them consider the idea again.

Also: If someone wants to read a sagacious criticism of the not spelling and grammar compliant gender-star constructions, check out the blog "Belles lettres" by German linguist Daniel Scholten. Roughly 70% of the German population prefers the "traditional" German (or rather: German in congruence with the soul and being of the German language).

Considering there where no calls-to-action or twitter-campaigns or any other of the methods "activists" normally use and this is just the amount of people who investigated on their own if there is an option to influence the decision of Spotify and bothered to make an account here, I think 450 is a really high number. Compared to other ideas, who also address the entire user-base and not only the German one, this idea has a lot of traction.

gkv2

... and it doesn't seem this will reach the votes necessary ...

Das ist ein schlechter Witz. Der Request war kurz davor, die erforderliche Anzahl von 500 Votes zu erreichen. Spotify schert sich einen Dreck um die Meinung seiner User.

Ich habe deswegen schon vor einem Jahr meinen Premium-Account gekündigt.

Noch ein allgemeiner Hinweis für alle Genderismus-Genervten: für Firefox gibt es Genderstern-Blocker (z.B. Binnen-I be gone).

Lukas41

Are you serious Spotify, you ignore your paying German subscribers who only want a grammatically correct spelling in the software?
The number of votes and comments speak for themselves!!!
A satisfactory solution would be to introduce an exclusionary language optional or delete this kind of nonsense.

(gender language with stars is exclusionary and not inclusive!) Please inform yourself about this, the star divides and includes no one!

People with reading disabilities or blind people have a very hard time with it!
The more inclusive the language should be, the more exclusive it becomes!

Normal German is already inclusive by a generic spelling (you may not know)...

Florian93

Sehr gut! Nicht locker lassen, weg mit diesem Sternchen!!

Florian93

Sehr gut! Dran bleiben! 

A-J-B

Very important suggestion!   👍🏻