Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Remember Position in Playlist / Album

Please remember the current song playing in a playlist so if I switch away to a different playlist and then switch back, Spotify will know where I left off.

I often can't finish a playlist right away or my mood changes so I might switch to a different playlist. Later, I want to finish the previous playlist, not start over again.

Updated on 2023-03-27

Hey everyone,

This idea accidentally ended up in the wrong board, so we're moving it back here. 

We're keeping the Not Right Now status as we don't have any immediate plans to implement this. As soon as we have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here.

Take care.

Comments
aritscha

If you are listening to a audiobook its so onerous if it can't remember on which chapter you were....

oren_b

Not supporting this is similar to a browser that doesn't support opening a link in a new tab. In Spotify, if you want to play some songs by the artist in the playlist you can do it, but be prepared to click back many times to resume where you started. This is exactly like browsing the web in the same window in a world with not tabs and clicking back many times to resume the original page. Luckily this isn't the state of browsers. Too bad the Spotify team doesn't see how crippling the current behavior is...

Sskim

I have my favourites in a folder and hate having to figure out where the play list was at last time. It would be great if it could just resume from last time if nothing is selected.

ralfy

This would make switching between playlists much more user-friendly & place Spotify above other streaming options.

Get it done, Spots!

wigglebit

I am amazed as to why this "feature" (I would call it a requirement) is not implemented yet. In 2012 when I first posted this idea I thought surely it would happen soon. Here we are 7 years later and it still doesn't exist. What more can be said.

I think they either don't know how to make it happen given there existing complex architecture or they don't know how to monetize it. This should be as simple as saving a few values in the local application database or in the local playlist file directly.

I have over 25 years experience creating user intefaces and my number one rule is to listen to the users. They come up with the best ideas.

Come on guys....start listening to your users.

Radiomylar
Just a reminder to everyone that if we want to get their attention with
this, to leave a negative review in the App Store of your choice. The
public isn’t reading THIS thread. And neither is Spotify, apparently.
RealRusty

Common, Spotify! There are so many cool audiobooks available now on Spotify and this feature (even when memory of the position would be saved locally on the device) would be a killer for amazon audible and similar audiobook platforms. It’s so simple an will bring us so much value! Searching the right position in an audiobook after app restart or after playing some music is such an annoying experience at the moment.

thanks

wigglebit

I think Radiomylar has the right idea. Go to the app store and complain.

Everytime someone comments here I get an email and it just reminds how dumb that this is not implemented yet.

wigglebit

How ironic, I just got a badge for replying 5 times.

aesterling

I normally never leave reviews on the iOS app store, but I just left a negative review for the Spotify app because we're not making any progress here! I mentioned the lack of this feature specifically in my review and it'd be great if others do the same.