Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Connect] Change Device Name in Device List

We need to be able to configure the display name of devices in the "Devices" list in spotify. This doesnt have to be a feature available on every devices, maybe even a setting only available on the website so it has the most coverage if its an issue implementing it everywhere.

But 

This Phone

DESKTOP-I59JLM2

ECHO-4F0 Speaker

GWDD-PBWETYX

Galaxy S6

As a list sucks. Its a fairly basic usability feature to have that list as

This Phone

Gaming PC

Upstairs Echo

Work

Paula's Phone

Which would make the selection of a device to control/listen on far easier.

Thanks.

Updated on 2023-03-30

Hey everyone,

It seems that this idea ended up in the wrong board accidentally, so we're bringing it back.

We're keeping the previous Not Right Now status, as we don't have any immediate plans to implement this. As soon as we have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here.

Take care.

Comments
blake
Status changed to: Up for Votes
Updated: 2016-02-24

Marked as New Idea and edited title to make it easier to find via search.

Teagan42
It seems that Spotify likes to use a "default name" for devices you can connect to and stream to. Examples: Amazon FireTV boxes are named "Amazon FireTV", Samsung smart TVs are named " Samsung TV", etc. However, if you have multiple of the same device (say for example, you have a FireTV in the living room, bedroom and office), when you try to stream music on your living room TV, you face a problem: all the devices are named "Amazon FireTV"!! You may even go into the Amazon Device manager or the TVs device settings ON THE TV and given each of your devices a different name, but - unfortunately - that doesn't matter, confronted with a list of 3 or 4 " Samsung TV"s.

Even if Spotify respected the device name settings, the ability to add an alias to your devices would make connecting to your devices an even better experience! That way, when friends come over for your Halloween party, they can see "Living Room TV", " Office TV", instead of "Beeblebrox", "Dent" (my network is named after Hitchhiker's Guide characters) and, the terrible, "Samsung TV", "Samsung TV".

All it would take is an extra field in a table and a small UI change for the alias, and the alias option would be far more useful to the layperson than pulling the device name - but, just, do both.
Stalwart

You can rename the devices in their respective OS preferences. Just make sure to restart them afterwards, as macOS version doesn't pick up a new Mac name until you do a complete computer reboot (just restarting app doesn't update list)

Gnommon

Plus one, multiple devices with the same name are really becoming annoying.

please consider adding a feature to rename devices...

Gnommon

Athis is becoming a big problem. i have 3 amazon fire tvs like Teegan above and they are all called firetv in spotify. This is annoying me so much im looking for alternatives to spotify.

please address this problem soon.

best

Teagan42
Does not work with FireTV and Samsung TVs. This seems like a logical
assumption (use the host be set on the device) but, apparently, not always
the case.
phazblade

Another here, 2 x Fire TVs which have their own unique names which are edited on the Amazon Account Website

Its about time Spotify could pick up these Unique Names, it would make it easier to use

Soon be this ideas First Birthday

M4ark

Same here: we have 3 Fire TV Sticks and 4 people with Spotify Prime accounts in our appartment. You have to try each Fire TV Stick to find the right room. So, if two or more people wont to stream Spotify to a particular device, you will have a lot of trouble, because you kick the other from their device. And you cant even see which device is already in use.

Regars,

Mark

AndrewB

Can you at least resolve this issue for Amazon Fire TV sticks? Given how cheap and useful these devices are I'm sure I'm not the only person to have more than one. Finding the right one can be difficult. 

Best wishes, Andrew. 

Chucktar

Some devices are unable to have their default name changed, which causes havoc when you have multiple devices on one network. Everyone wishes they could just change their device name on the Spotify apllication itself, but that would require further permissions on certain devices. If we could just give a nickname to the device, similar to what you can do on any device connected through bluetooth on a phone , then all of our problems would be solved. Spotify should implement a "Nickname" feature.