Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Subscription] Graduate and Doctoral Student Discount

Currently, the student discount is set up to be available for 4 years per person. This is a hard and fast rule that does not include gradute or doctoral students.

Moving forward, Spotify needs to rewrite their policy to be available for this large population of students! This way they can continue using a platform that they know and love while still getting the student discount that they so desperately need. Higher education is expensive, and being able to save money wherever possible is essential. These students deserve the same student discount as undergraduates. 

If you're a graduate student, doctoral student, or soon to be either one, hit the like button to make this dream a reality! 100 votes and it'll get passed on for review! 

Updated on 2023-03-30

Hey everyone,

It seems that this idea ended up in the wrong board accidentally, so we're bringing it back.

We're keeping the previous Case Closed status, as we don't have any immediate plans to implement this. As soon as we have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here.

Take care.

Comments
jktaubman

@Spotify Please review this! Many of us are moving on to graduate/professional school and have even less money than we had in undergrad. There should be an extension that allows us to maintain the student discount. I started my spotify student discount freshman year of undergrad and am now starting med school. I had to take out $35,000 in loans just for this semester (now multiply that by 8 to get total cost of med school).  This discount would be a huge help in trying to responsibly budget.  

Dchapa10

agreed. I know there are ways that other sites verify that a student is still enrolled and continue the discount accordingly and spotify should implement this as well. great idea

jf38

Students are usually students more than four years.  Spotify use usually starts in high school and continues to college.

I could not agree with this more. I was just denied a re-subscription for a student membership even though I just began my Masters. Its barely anything out of the pockets of those at Spotify but it does add up over 2 years for me personally. 

TheGinger

Please make this happen!! A lot of students also take longer than 4 years to complete an undergrad degree and Spotify should be inclusive of them!

alexandriaphd

I’m a graduate student and the next 3 years without Spotify student saddens me 🥺 I never asks for these irl but I really hope Spotify provides us students with an extension...

Kpa126

I agree! It's so annoying when most students are actually at university for longer than 4 years! Spotify are clearly taking advantage of students.

ZeLobster

As a doctoral student I feel like this is a punishment for continuing my education. Spotify, would you rather have my £4.99 a month, or nothing at all? Because I, like most others, can't afford £9.99 a month for a subscription on a student income. We can all verify our student status, so why deny us the student rate? Please do something about this, you're the only student subscription I've ever known to have a 4 year cut off. 

sarakacz

This would be fantastic. So dumb that we only get a max of 4 years of the student price. Why doesn’t Spotify support continuing education? Medical School and other professional schools (Vet, Dental, Law, etc) are expensive! Extend the student discount!