Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Can I use copyrighted music from my local files in my playlist?

Solved!

Can I use copyrighted music from my local files in my playlist?

So can I download a copyrighted song elsewhere, and then use the song in Spotify?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @user-removed 

No-one prohibits you from including local files into your playlists, even if the playlists are public. 🙂

The thing is - you are the only one who can listen to your local files. They are not uploaded to Spotify servers, they stay on your hard drive.
Other people cannot listen to your local files as they appear greyed out or are completely hidden, depending on their preferences.

See this example:

localfiles.png

The top one is how your local files appear to other people in your (public) playlists, if "Show unavailable songs in playlists" is enabled.

Hope this helps, have a nice day 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Hi there, you can head to this page for information about local files.

I went there and concluded that it probably isn't ok, but is it fine if I'm just keeping the songs for my own personal enjoyment and the playlist is not public and is not posted anywhere online?

Marked as solution

Hey @user-removed 

No-one prohibits you from including local files into your playlists, even if the playlists are public. 🙂

The thing is - you are the only one who can listen to your local files. They are not uploaded to Spotify servers, they stay on your hard drive.
Other people cannot listen to your local files as they appear greyed out or are completely hidden, depending on their preferences.

See this example:

localfiles.png

The top one is how your local files appear to other people in your (public) playlists, if "Show unavailable songs in playlists" is enabled.

Hope this helps, have a nice day 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts