Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Certain songs skip like a scratched cd, on multiple devices/accounts

Certain songs skip like a scratched cd, on multiple devices/accounts

Since a few weeks, certain songs behave like scratched cd's, and my friends are having the exact same problems. For example, the first seconds of "The Storm" by artist Leah Senior(https://open.spotify.com/track/7mZAotAzFbEPp8ifHKkYBZ?si=Hgsm3-hQQc269i5A-9Tdkw) skip and start over, this wasn't the case a month ago. Another example is the song "Crying" by King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard, (https://open.spotify.com/track/68jgIRWcoZ8hV8BdxVegRy?si=sg5gIf0AQ_mdVzxccSHlLg) at 2:40 the song is all over the place. 

Will this be fixed? Is this a global issue, or is it just us?
Thanks in advance

6 Replies

Really? I haven’t had that problem, that’s the strangest thing I’ve heard.

That is strange.

As a matter of factly - we also had an issue with a song skipping (like on a vinyl). It was an old song and it was from back in the days when everything was released on vinyl. I believe even before digital stores were around.

"Unfortunately" back then smaller labels and artists didn't keep their master files - so more often than not, artists and labels had to digitize their vinyls. Which was the case with this track - having the scratches recorded and uploaded in a batch delivery to the portals.

Luckily, this was later resolved by the artist miraculously finding the master file so the label/distribution could replace it. I believe this is the case as well, as I checked the songs you mention and also hear the skips.

What's odd is you say you didn't hear that a month ago - which would seem very unlikely, and wouldn't know the answer to.

it seems the artist/label would need to re-deliver that track again through their aggregator.

This happens to me on my macbook pro when using bluetooth headphones. It's fine when using wired earbuds. Hope this helps.

This is happening to me too for the first time ever. I upgraded to a Samsung S9 yesterday. Have switched my phone off and on, updated the app and downloaded all my songs again. I am a Premium user and will cancel if this can't be sorted.

I listened to the tracks, nice music btw. The skipping did not occur in "The Storm" - It could have been a buffering error, when the initial loading of music data is not fast enough - although it is also often experienced as pauses/stops. As also suggested in by @Ryanx0r that it could have been a bad copy uploaded to the servers, which has now been replaced by the musician/label.

The scratch/skip at the end of "Crying" actually sounds artistic! By this I mean that the musician might have re-produced the cd-sounding skip on purpose. This is hard to tell without being more familiar with the band's other works.

I like listening test posts : )

you're correct it usually falls upon the musicians/labels to re-submit faulty audio files that have unwanted sonic artefacts in them.

Suggested posts