Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Retirement of our Running Feature

Retirement of our Running Feature

Hey everyone, the Spotify Community team here.

We’re here to let you know we will be retiring our Running feature on 26 February 2018.

We always take retiring features in Spotify very seriously. We’re pouring our energy into new ways of creating the best experience for our users.

Of course, you can still workout with Spotify as your Running companion. You can find Running playlists in the Workout section of Browse section.

You can also connect your Spotify running music with an exercise app. Check out our support articles on Nike+ Run Club and Runkeeper for more information.

If you’re interested to learn more about how the app evolves, check out our article about testing and why features change.

Please post here with any questions or feedback you might have. We’ll be sure it reaches the right teams.

Thanks!

814 Replies

The adjustable tempo running feature was the only reason that I was paying for spotify.  Cancelling today.

Please, PLEASE, bring it back! it was one of the most amazing features!!!

I cancelled my account entirely as soon as I found out they dropped this feature.  I've searched for replacement BPM running aps and have come across a few that people may want to check out.  Each has their pros/cons but certainly can do the job.

RockMyRun

Runkeeper

Weav Run

PaceDJ

As an aside, even if Spotify brings this feature back in some form, it's too late for me.  I will never give my money to spotify again.

Just a question: WHY DID IT HAVE TO LEAVE?! I'm so saddened by this. The running feature was exactly why I signed up for Premium in the first place, and now with other free apps that can do almost the same thing as the normal "music" feature of Spotify (since I'm not picky with "my" music), I might just have to cancel. I'm a student, and if there is a cheaper way out to get my running music (like listening to the same iTunes playlist that I've had for years) then I suppose I'll go back to that. I absolutely loved this feature, and know several of my running buddies did too! PLEASE I'm begging you to bring it back!

I'll add, like many others, this feature removal is devastating to me. I got on the treadmill, spent forever looking for music, ended up eventually completing a lazy workout because I couldn't get into it. Please, by all means, if you're going to make something new and even better please do so, but in the meantime please please please add this functionailty back. I loved being able to pick a genre, bmp, and take off.

Check Fit Radio, with groupon code it's $18 first year!! and if you use the groupon $10 off first purchase coupon on new accounts it's only $8!!

https://www.groupon.com/deals/fit-radio-2

Or get Rock My run groupon!, $12.99 a year with the $10 off first purchase it ammounts to $2,99!!

https://www.groupon.com/deals/rockmyrun-north-jersey

Personally, I went with Fit Radio but both are top notch... and they wont remove the tempo run featuras as it's the core functionality of the apps/service!!

Come on, Spotify. Everywhere you keep hiding behind the same statement about passing feedback to the right team. Please step up and be honest with us. Do you have any intentions of bringing back the running feature or the running originals or are we just wasting our time? It should be a very easy task for you to make the running originals available as normal songs in versions with different BPM. I'm starting to think that the reason you hesitate doing it is because you are afraid that they would be more popular than the new Hancock announcement which would be an inconvenient fact to make visible.

These are more than bad news, I really can't understand your decision! Spotfy Running was a unique companion - actually it made me running after a very long pause. So motivating! I loved this feature and I recommended it whenever I had a chance to do so...

PLEASE RECONSIDER THIS DECISION!!!

As many users said before, I seriously think about cancelling spotify...

Spotify is the only app I dread when I see that there is an update. With every update more stuff is taken away.

This is a terrible idea. This feature was the only reason I had Spotify instead of Apple Music.

This is very frustrating. Can you explain why you terminated a feature that many users find useful?  It was a sudden termination, was there an intellectual property violation issue with the feature and you were forced to shut it down? Was it not used by more than the few hundred angry users who took the time to come to this forum and complain?  Was it no longer technlogically possible to continue it? 

Spotify is no longer a good "running companion" and I sadly see little reason to continue with a Spotify subscription.  SAD!

YES!  If we knew we could have created playlists. i came to rely on a certain group of songs in different BPM categories and listening to them day after day. very frustrating that is all gone. 

I echo the comments below. I started running and used the BPM pace on the Ellie Goulding Escape playlist. It has helped me set my pace and train for a half marathon next week. But I went looking for it a couple weeks ago and couldn't find it. Now I'm faced with a half marathon next weekend without my favorite pacing music. I'm very upset. Please reconsider and bring it back. Thanks!

I really liked this feature. Please reconsider retiring it! Please bring it back!!!

With this move, you significantly reduced the value of my Spotify subscription.

It is the only "browse" feature I used.

Same here, I am already looking for alternatives. This was the one feature that made spotify stand out from other streaming services

Gr8 idea!!!

This was one of the best features and made Spotify stand out. Maybe you can add bpm search? Then we can create our own running playlist for keeping up with a good bpm (170-180). Most of the existing running playlists are in less than 150 bpm which is slow jogging, not running.

Why did you retire it? I am very disappointed. Enough to make me consider canceling my subscription. Please bring it back!

The running mix was a fantastic idea, and worked wonders for my motivation. The second another music service implement this functionality, its bye bye spotify.

Suggested posts