Shutting down Line-In

22 people liked this

Re: Shutting down Line-In

Kerry_Maxwell
Casual Listener

Virtually every service I pay for online pulls this **bleep** - "we've removed funtionality that you value from the service you pay for and there's nothing you can do about it, but 'community input is something we truly value' ". Sure it is. The only input these services value is the input from my bank account. 

2 people liked this

Aurora14
Casual Listener

Well there can be some arguments made that if the implementation of Line In made it difficult to process edits, - at the end of the day it's also a piece of software, and depending on its workings it may be impractical to provide fixes, when what is needed is a complete rewrite. 

Obviously this is speculation, there may be entirely other reasons for it. 

The point still remains that we need a way to report incorrect metadata, and to have these reports actioned. 

5 people liked this

Aurora14
Casual Listener

@marius Re: "when it comes to crediting people..." that's completely fair. In that case, it was the proper publishing data. 

On the other hand, a different example: there's a Summoning track called "The Passing of the Grey Company". On Spotify it's currently listed as "The Passing of the Grey Companh" - in this case it's definitely wrong, as it doesn't appear this way anywhere else. 

Last.fm has introduced a simple "is this correct? yes/no" system for artist, album & song names, so it's reasonable to assume there's at least some automated, algorithm-based stuff at work there. Mind you, as people scrobble from their own libraries and a number of other sources, Last.fm probably has a lot more data sources it can analyze in order to determine what's right and what isn't. Spotify may not have this option. But the point is that there are things they can do even if human resources are limited to individually moderate and assess community corrections/suggestions

6 people liked this

Rock Star 15
Rock Star 15

Hey all,

Although Line-In is going away, you can still help to report incorrect content metadata! Just check out this Spotify support article for a how-to on correcting content issues: https://support.spotify.com/article/how-do-i-report-a-content-error-on-spotify/ :) 

ItsPugleRock Star 15
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
2 people liked this

Aurora14
Casual Listener

@ItsPurgle that's great, thanks for posting it. This path should have a lot more visibility since Line In has been retired, - otherwise we'll keep having 10-page threads like this one :) 

When there's a dedicated community, some of the most important things for them are a) that they are being listened to, and b) that their time and effort contributing to this community are not wasted. I hope whatever Spotify does is genuinely guided by these principles. 

jshatan
Regular

Good point - but until they actually make the fix I suggested through that form a couple of weeks ago, I will not be spending any of my valuable time using it. Cheers!

1 person liked this

Kerry_Maxwell
Casual Listener

There's another function I used Line-In for: you can not select type in the app, so I would go to Line-In so I could select the artist name or piece and copy the text for search purposes. I listen to primarily classical, that often has very long names and "song" titles, and if I decided I'd like to purchase something, I'd select the type from Line-In to help me find the music for purchase. It was also handy to see what label the recording is from, which is not always apparent from the copyright credit. Many classical recordings appear on multiple labels, and if I read about a specific recording, it's sometimes hard to figure out which one I've found on Spotify. Sure, thisn't what it was designed for, but it was functionality I found useful, so the service I pay for is now less useful to me. Minor for sure, but these things have a habit of multiplying.

1 person liked this

The-Equalizer
Regular

Disappointing. I enjoyed changing the metadata details and adding moods. It clearly got some usage, based on 26 pages in this forum.

But if it was still a manual process and not automatically changing the actual music metadata, then it was probably a hopeful tool at most anyway.

An earlier post suggested changing the metadata locally only, but that doesn't fix the underlying issue of wrong details on the service to begin with.

1 person liked this

felipegaucin97
Casual Listener

So the changes I made in Spotify Line-In did not help? At least you should accept the changes you make

2 people liked this

Zambiblasian1
Casual Listener

Pardon my french, but what the fk were you guys smoking when you made this charlie-foxtrot of a decision?!

"Difficult decision" my backside.

SUGGESTED POSTS