Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Why no TOOL (The band)

Solved!

Why no TOOL (The band)

Hello everyone!!

Well I just recently discovered Spotify and would like to know if any of you can point me in the right direction here.  I need to know who do I bug to get them to add Tool to the artist list.  No songs of Tool nor any of their albums are available!!!  Probably one of the best HM bands out there and nothing on them.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Not going to happen. Tool are anti music streaming services so you won't find them on Spotify, Apple Music or Tidal and probably never will. The best you can do is add any albums you own as local files into Spotify and sync them offline to your mobile devices. 

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

you do realise it's the stubbornness of Tool entirely, right?
Spotify - for sure - would pay them well to add their catalogue.

Well, it's stupidity what it is because any Tool song is available for ANYONE anyway on youtube etc.

I would understand the whole band's policy to make ppl buy the CD, preferably Vinyl, if it was the only access to their music.
Hardcore fans buy the vinyl anyway and adding it to strraming services additionally would only get more people to enjoy real music. They would do the world a favor and themselves as well.

View solution in original post

131 Replies
Marked as solution

Not going to happen. Tool are anti music streaming services so you won't find them on Spotify, Apple Music or Tidal and probably never will. The best you can do is add any albums you own as local files into Spotify and sync them offline to your mobile devices. 

As Rolling Stone point out, yes, Tool is among the "10 Biggest Artists That Refuse to Stream their Music".

Source: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/artists-refuse-stream-music-20150102

They hate music streaming services. Buy their CD's or vinyl.

So then why are they on Pandora?

Exactly my thoughts... why are they on Pandora? I don't see why ALL artists don't just give in, it's the way of the future after all.

Thing is, they're not on Spotify but A Perfect Circle and Puscifer are so...**bleep**?

Pandora is radio and is governed by different laws than on demand streaming services like Spotify. It's those laws that let Pandora play pretty much whatever it wants just like traditional radio stations can.

That's what makes me angry, they have Puscifer and A Perfect Circle? Why not Tool? What is the difference. Most people nowadays listen to music through Spotify, Pandora, and other streaming services. Not many are out there buying CD's still. I don't see why they don't just give in. Ya know?

I feel the same too!!! 😞 I like Tool
Marked as solution

you do realise it's the stubbornness of Tool entirely, right?
Spotify - for sure - would pay them well to add their catalogue.

Well, it's stupidity what it is because any Tool song is available for ANYONE anyway on youtube etc.

I would understand the whole band's policy to make ppl buy the CD, preferably Vinyl, if it was the only access to their music.
Hardcore fans buy the vinyl anyway and adding it to strraming services additionally would only get more people to enjoy real music. They would do the world a favor and themselves as well.

And also on Google Play Music?
So much for hating streaming their music...

this has bothered me for the longest time and i totally respect why they are doing it , but at the same time , i would love to add their entire catelogue to my playlists with ease..

@masterbleepboop you still can if you have the tool albums. link spotify to local music on your computer and add the tool albums. Works in offline mode too

But you can't make a library consisting of both local and streaming, which sucks.

I just did to double check and it definitely worked

- Added local file to a playlist

- downloaded playlist onto phone

- set offline and track was there

didnt have the track on my phone prior and the tool song is the only one thats a local file

Screenshot_20170404-092629.png

I'm a spotify user. And I pay for it. It's awesome to find good bands you would never know to exist if not for spotify/lastfm. But I respect bands that don't tag along with free streaming. I still buy albums I like. Support the bands. If I someday make an album, I would also like to get paid for it. In my life, me and my parents spent a lot of money on my music education and instruments. It is more than normal to get some back for all the effort. A carpenter also gets paid for the tables and stairs he makes. Why should music and movies be different? The only bad thing is all those leaches like SABAM and other outsiders that steal from the consumers. Anyhow, support your locals!!! They can be great if you, the listeners/fans/friends, support them.

If Spotify would add Tool, it'd probably be one heck of a party. I'm sure Spotify has asked them to add their music, let alone at least attempt to have them look into it. Tool is possibly one of the most influencal bands I know with alternative metal and good rock. Would love to hear them on my playlist however they are known for not really allowing their music to be on itunes, etc.

Suggested posts