Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Why "Appears On" section is not ordered by release date anymore?

Solved!

Why "Appears On" section is not ordered by release date anymore?

Hi, hope everyone's having a great day. So, when you're on an artist profile there's this section named "Appears On " where you can see featurings and apparitions of the artist on another artists's songs/projects.
I've been using that section/function for a while now and its always has been ordered by release date/year (from new to older).
But last week or so I checked it on some artist and now it has not an order, not by date neither alphabetical. Just random.
Someone know if that could be setted by me or does this happened for a reason? Or it will be restablished someday? I just wanna know what is going on because this new order it's basically useless. I can't look by year nor by name.

Regards and have a nice day!

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-28 at 7.14.31 AM.jpg

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @Shaneboy,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. 

The Appears On shelf used to be sorted chronologically by release date, which resulted in recent compilation lists being the primary focus. It is now sorted by popularity, so more relevant content (e.g. the most frequently looked up content in connection with the particular artist) should be prioritized in the view.

Hope you'll find this info useful. Let us know if there's anything else we can help with.

Have a nice day!

Mario Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @Shaneboy,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. 

The Appears On shelf used to be sorted chronologically by release date, which resulted in recent compilation lists being the primary focus. It is now sorted by popularity, so more relevant content (e.g. the most frequently looked up content in connection with the particular artist) should be prioritized in the view.

Hope you'll find this info useful. Let us know if there's anything else we can help with.

Have a nice day!

Mario Moderator

Can you make it so that we have the option to see it in Date Order as well as Popular?

That would be great

It'd be cool to have the option to see it in the order of your preference. Because I usually use it to see my favorite artists's new releases. Is it possible to submit it as a suggerence to implement that option on the next app update? I'm sure there are more people that would like that too.

Hey @Shaneboy and @AMS72,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this!

If you'd like to present your feedback regarding the Appears On shelf as an Idea for Spotify, make sure to follow these steps:

1. Go to the Spotify Community
  2. Click on Menu
  3. Click on Ideas > Idea submissions
  4. Scroll all the way to the bottom and click on Let’s go

As a heads-up, it's good to know that the higher the number of votes an Idea gets, the more likely it is for the Idea to be implemented. If you wish to learn more about how your feedback will reach Spotify, feel free to take a look at this article.

Hope you'll find this info useful. Have a nice day 🙂

Mario Moderator

Hey, no one asked for that change. Chronological order is important for understanding an electronic artist's history and evolution. Please change it back, this is a defect.

Hey @docawk,

Thanks for writing about this.

It'd be great for your to add your +VOTE as well as feedback to the Idea @Shaneboy created in this case. You'll find it here

Hope you'll find this useful. Have a good day!

Mario Moderator

Hey @Mario, isn't this a moot point now that Spotify has revealed that what they claimed was first a bug, and then A/B user testing, was actually an intended change? They've completely removed the Appears On section and say it's not coming back. It's the reason I begrudgingly came back to Spotify after leaving, the last time they removed a large swath of features. 

ryanjlee7_0-1594681745559.png

I saw the "the Appears On section is now ordered by popularity" solution and wished to confirm this. So I searched Post Malone's section, since he's one of the most popular mainstream artists of the last few years. And...that solution can't be true, can it? How are "Forever" and "Celebrate" more popular than "Jackie Chan" and "Homemade Dynamite (Remix)"? Regarding the latter two songs: 1) I heard them on the radio outside of Spotify, 2) They were more successful on the Billboard Hot 100 than the former two, and 3) They have more streams than the former two: 118 million and 52 million, vs. 594 million and 200 million. Or, I could point to "Sunflower" being behind "Forever" in the section, but clearly proving my above points.

...Spotify, please just give the option of ordering the Appears On section by release date again. Thank you.

For listeners of reggae and dancehall the change of order of the appears on section is devastating for listening to new music. Many dancehall artist release 90% of their songs on so called riddim albums with various artists. Spotify has never been able to display these songs in a good way as they end up in the appears on section. But now when the appears on section is no longer ordered in chronological order spotify is hopeless to use for keeping up with new dancehall releases. I start to use other platforms for that purpose and I suppose others who want to listen to new dancehall music do the same.

Suggested posts