Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Difference between web player and desktop?

Solved!

Difference between web player and desktop?

I suppose this might be a silly question, but googling didn't really get me any satisfying results. For free users, what exactly is the difference between the web player and the downloadable player on your computer? I've been using the web player up until now, and I just downloaded spotify on my computer to try it out because the new layout on the web player was a bit annoying. As far as I can tell though it seems that appearance and function are identical, the only difference being I don't have to deal with intrusive ads on the web player because I have adblock.

What's the incentive for downloading yet another thing onto your computer if there’s no difference? Is there something I'm missing?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I was just wondering the same, hehe. I had the Spotify desktop program, years ago, but removed it because it was annoying. I've never needed Spotify to play or manage the music on my computer so it's really pointless.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

The main difference is that you can use Spotify in it's own program if you download the desktop player.

If you use the web player it might be a little bit slower than the desktop app.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi,

There are some features that the Web Player cannot support, such as adding and playing local files and offline syncing, and features that are not available yet, such as Spotify Connect, and these features are readily available from the Desktop client.

Mark

The biggest difference I've found that makes me come back to the Desktop app is that it can use media player buttons (the play/pause button on your keyboards and stuff).

I have a gaming headset with these buttons built in so I use the desktop app to play music in the background while I play games.

Via the desktop app you can readily send audio to be played via a chromecast device.

Marked as solution

I was just wondering the same, hehe. I had the Spotify desktop program, years ago, but removed it because it was annoying. I've never needed Spotify to play or manage the music on my computer so it's really pointless.

Suggested posts