Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Any way to identify / remove duplicate tracks to save space?

Solved!

Any way to identify / remove duplicate tracks to save space?

Many songs are identically listed in multiple albums, singles, and even variations of the same album. These are not flagged as duplicates. For example, if I have 2 identical songs:

MCS - Everything is Alright (from CTTM)

and

MCS - Everything is Alright (from CTTM DELUXE)

Both can exist and count towards my download limit. Is there a tool or good way to identify such cases so I can fix it and just use one downloaded song across my playlists?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @ACAx1985, thanks for posting! 

You can try out Spotify Dedup  

But if we have in mind that the songs are from different releases, I'm not sure if they'll be seen as duplicates, but you can at least try it : )

"Dedup traverses the playlists in your Spotify library and lets you remove duplicate tracks easily."

MartinStoichkovSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @ACAx1985, thanks for posting! 

You can try out Spotify Dedup  

But if we have in mind that the songs are from different releases, I'm not sure if they'll be seen as duplicates, but you can at least try it : )

"Dedup traverses the playlists in your Spotify library and lets you remove duplicate tracks easily."

This is cool. I used it to help remove a number of dupes. thank you.

It would be cool if you could somehow flag what was saved and what was not. If I end up removing the track that was NOT saved, it doesn't really help me free up space.

Hey back @ACAx1985 

Usually this icon points out which tracks are saved to "Your Library" if you're talking about this? 

1.jpg

If you're talking about your downloaded tracks in general, every track which is in one of your downloaded playlists takes data on your disk space. 

Note: If you have dublicates, don't worry, they doesn't take additional space on your device, only one file is downloaded, no matter in how much playlists the track belongs

Hope that clear things up, if you have something else in mind, reply back here : )

This has saved me a tremendous amount of time. Really appreciate this tip.

@MartinStoichkov wrote:

Hey back @ACAx1985 

Usually this icon points out which tracks are saved to "Your Library" if you're talking about this? 

1.jpg

If you're talking about your downloaded tracks in general, every track which is in one of your downloaded playlists takes data on your disk space. 

Note: If you have dublicates, don't worry, they doesn't take additional space on your device, only one file is downloaded, no matter in how much playlists the track belongs

Hope that clear things up, if you have something else in mind, reply back here : )

ACAx1985 Roadie ‎2017-02-02 04:38 PM
This is cool. I used it to help remove a number of dupes. thank you.

It would be cool if you could somehow flag what was saved and what was not. If I end up removing the track that was NOT saved, it doesn't really help me free up space.

@I think that what @ACAx1985 meant with "saved" songs was "downloaded", so for example, as I may have a song called "xyz" in Playlist#1 that is selected as to be "downloaded" but then I may have that same "xyz" track in a different Playlist#2 that is also selected as to be "downloaded" but in this Playlist#2 the track "xyz" is repeated and are from different albums.... So it would be nice if the Spotify Dedup would delete the repeated "xyz" track on Playlist#2 that is from the other album therefore I would keep the same "xyz" track from the same album in my both Playlists.... And free up space. 

that was so easy and perfect! removed a ton of duplicates i had from a imported playlist...thank you!

You can try Duplicate Media Finder. this software is ideal for removing identical and similar songs.

So, if you have two songs (For example mp3 and wma), Duplicate Media Finder will detect that these files are similar. User could decide to delete one of them (or not).

One more thing, this tool displays covers and not only file names.

Personally I use it for images and videos.

Suggested posts