BUG - version 0.9.10.17.g4129e1c9 - linux desktop

Solved!

BUG - version 0.9.10.17.g4129e1c9 - linux desktop

berendho
Regular

Dear,

I have upgraded today (may 21 2014), via public repository, my linux desktop spotify to version 0.9.10.17.g4129e1c9 and encountered a bug.

Whenever a new song starts playing or I resume playing after I paused the song, my system freezes. I have started the program from the terminal and the following messages appear:

08:52:37.582 E [watchdog.cpp:171                ] Deadlock detected (Thread: gui)
08:52:58.599 E [watchdog.cpp:191                ] The deadlock was a lie! (gui, 25017)

The first line appears moments (~3 seconds) after starting a new song. My system freezes until the moment the latter line appears.

I also see a popup of some kind for maybe 1-2 frames after my system unfreezes. Looks like it is a new feature of spotify trying to send a figure of the album art to the systems (ubuntu 12.04) notification centre that makes it freeze.

Release:    12.04
Kernel: 3.2.0-43-generic

Spotify: 0.9.10.17.g4129e1c9

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution!

Re: BUG - version 0.9.10.17.g4129e1c9 - linux desktop

olejon
Roadie

It may have to do with the new feature to use system notifications.

Try starting Spotify like this from the terminal, and see if the freezing stops:

spotify --ui.track_notifications_enabled=false

SpotCommander - The most elegant, intuitive, feature-rich & universal remote control for Spotify, exclusive for Linux users!
18 Replies

berendho
Regular

I can't listen to music with spotify if after every song (3-4minutes) it freezes my computer for 20 seconds+. This is not acceptable, I expect a fix, or at least the acknlodgement of the bug with a workaround so I can use the program again. If not, well then you lost a long term (2+years) paying customer...

hultberg
Casual Listener

I am having a problem with the newest update too.. by not being able to start spotify.

spotify: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by spotify)
spotify: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by /opt/spotify/spotify-client/Data/libcef.so)
spotify: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.15' not found (required by /opt/spotify/spotify-client/Data/libcef.so)

Using debian wheezy 64-bit.

kid
Casual Listener

@hultberg wrote:

I am having a problem with the newest update too.. by not being able to start spotify.

spotify: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by spotify)
spotify: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by /opt/spotify/spotify-client/Data/libcef.so)
spotify: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.15' not found (required by /opt/spotify/spotify-client/Data/libcef.so)

With Spotify 0.9.10.17.g4129e1c.78-1 on Debian stable/Wheezy amd64 with libc6 from testing/Jessie it runs fine. Though apt-pinning is not for everybody …

--

br,

kid

kid
Casual Listener

@kid wrote:

@hultberg wrote:

With Spotify 0.9.10.17.g4129e1c.78-1 on Debian stable/Wheezy amd64 with libc6 from testing/Jessie it runs fine. Though apt-pinning is not for everybody …

… but this might get you started.

Spotify deserves credit for making their software available on the Linux platform through package repositories, but I would be glad to have a build that eliminates the need for apt-pinning in Debian stable/Wheezy.

--

br,

kid

hultberg
Casual Listener

Thanks for link, tried this solution and it worked. I installed libc from jessie/testing. I did NOT update any other package than libc. (And related packages to the libc).

durker
Casual Listener

I have the exact same issue here (freezing on playback). As a premium customer I would appreciate a reply from spotify addressing the issue.

Solution!

olejon
Roadie

It may have to do with the new feature to use system notifications.

Try starting Spotify like this from the terminal, and see if the freezing stops:

spotify --ui.track_notifications_enabled=false

SpotCommander - The most elegant, intuitive, feature-rich & universal remote control for Spotify, exclusive for Linux users!

durker
Casual Listener

Thanks, that fixed it for me. Obviously I would like a fix from Spotify (so we still can have notifications), but for now this is great. Thank you olejon.

olejon
Roadie

Great :-)

If everyone with this problem reported som basic system information, it could maybe help the developers to identify what causes this. I have not encountered this bug on Xubuntu 12.04, Ubuntu GNOME 14.04 or Xubuntu 14.04 (all 64-bit, of course).

• Distribution (name and version)
  • Desktop environment
  • Kernel version (run "uname -r" in a terminal)
  • CPU information (run "cat /proc/cpuinfo" in a terminal)
  • Any special/custom setup
SUGGESTED POSTS