Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Controlling Spotify for Linux from the Android app

Solved!

Controlling Spotify for Linux from the Android app

I have Spotify for Linux running on a PC and when I click "Connect" it can see my Android phone. However, in the Android app, when I choose Settings->Show available devices, it says "If another device becomes available, you can select it here". There are no other devices to select.

So the Linux desktop app can see my phone, but my phone can't see the Linux desktop app. Is it *supposed* to work?

The only odd thing about my setup is that the Linux PC running Spotify for Linux has multiple IP addresses, only one of which is connected to the WiFi network. Is it possible it is not listening on all interfaces?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Spotify for desktop doesn't yet support Spotify Connect I'm afraid (on any platform). You can see your phone in the client which is there for synching local files over to the device, Spotify Connect has yet to be added.

Hopefully it will be added in the future.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Marked as solution

Spotify for desktop doesn't yet support Spotify Connect I'm afraid (on any platform). You can see your phone in the client which is there for synching local files over to the device, Spotify Connect has yet to be added.

Hopefully it will be added in the future.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Thanks for clarifying. Until then SpotCommander is okay, or I could just hook up an old smartphone to my amplifier and control that.

I think it would be great to have Spotify Connect working properly for desktop clients as well. The typical use case (at least in my case) is coming back with the smartphone in your hands, and letting the speakers connect to your laptop and play the music you're playing on your smartphone. Or laying in bed with your tablet, and managing the music to be played from your good computer's speakers, instead of your bad tablet speakers (right now I can do this by using mopidy streaming and an MPD client on Android, but it would be great to have a native Spotify solution for this).

This now works on Mac + Windows!

So close now, so close! (I hope?)

Nowadays, it works also on spotify for linux.

Suggested posts