Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Cyrillic artists transliterated in desktop apps

Solved!

Cyrillic artists transliterated in desktop apps

For some reason artists with cyrillic names/titles are transliterated in desktop apps (checked on Linux and Windows) while they are displayed correctly in android app. Can this please be fixed? last.fm scrobbles become real mess with all this.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I think the apps always tries to use available translations/transliterations for artists that is the language that is configured to be used for the UI.

In the mobile apps, I think it is always the same language as your system settings. But if the UI is not available in your system language, the UI will probably fallback to English.

In the desktop app, it seems you can set it in Preferences in the client only. The web player might use your browser settings. Since you are seeing transliterated artist names in the desktop clients, it must mean that your language setting is English there and something else on your Android device so it fallbacks to the default name, which might be cyrillic.

I just tested with: https://open.spotify.com/artist/3KYkCbCf8S3RDAtFoBT3qW
which is displayed as Valeriya if I have English in the settings and Валерия with all other languages.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Marked as solution

I think the apps always tries to use available translations/transliterations for artists that is the language that is configured to be used for the UI.

In the mobile apps, I think it is always the same language as your system settings. But if the UI is not available in your system language, the UI will probably fallback to English.

In the desktop app, it seems you can set it in Preferences in the client only. The web player might use your browser settings. Since you are seeing transliterated artist names in the desktop clients, it must mean that your language setting is English there and something else on your Android device so it fallbacks to the default name, which might be cyrillic.

I just tested with: https://open.spotify.com/artist/3KYkCbCf8S3RDAtFoBT3qW
which is displayed as Valeriya if I have English in the settings and Валерия with all other languages.

Hi everyone,

I have the same problem and it's really annoying. I'm an active Last.Fm user. I don't care, if the artist title is "Bi-2" or "Би-2", but Last.Fm scrobbling does.

I'm using Spotify on my desktop Windows 10 PC and Android smartphone. Both - my mobile and my desktop - are using Russian language as main language. And all artists with cyrillic names were showed properly with cyrillic. But a few weeks ago it changed on my desktop, however I haven't made any changes on my PC - no reinstallation, no changing language preferences or other things. So, for me it's obviously that it is something on Spotify desktop app side. 

The problem is that part of cyrillic artists currently are showed using latin transcription. The thing is, that not all of them, but only part.

For example:

Би-2 > changed to Bi-2

Сплин -> changed to Splean

Бумбокс -> changed to Boombox

but at the same time artists like Торба-на-круче, Зимавсегда, Братья Грим are still with cyrillic titles. I can't understand why. 

So, the Last.Fm scrobbling isn't the only problem. Another one, that I don't know where I should look for cyrillic artists in my playlists - on the bottom of the list as it is for cyrillic titles or somewhere in the middle with all other artists using latin names.

On my Android everything is the same as it was before. I have noticed that this cyrillic/latin thing on mobile depends on your language preferences in your Android settings at Spotify app installation moment. For example, if you have English or other latin language as main language and you install Spotify, you'll get cyrillic titles as latin (not all of them again, but most of them). If you then change your language preferences, nothing will change. You'll need to change language first, and then reinstall Spotify. In that scenario your cyrillic titles will remain cyrillic. If you change language from Russian to English for example, your cyrillic titles will remain cyrillic again. Only if you reinstall Spotify or delete app data you'll lose your cyrillic.

So...... What I can do about my desktop Spotify app and return my cyrillic titles back? If Android app shows cyrillic names, so the problem must be somewhere between Spotify desktop app and Windows. Could it be found? 

I've tried to reinstall Spotify desktop app and clear cache - nothing helps. Also, I see that Spotify web player also transforms cyrillic names to latin. 

I'll appreciate any help with this mess. 

Thank you!

Seems that you are right. I switched desktop app language to Polish and German, and Cyrillic names became Cyrillic again. Without an option for Russian language, this is a little bit annoying, I'll have to use the language that I know less just to get right Russian artists names. Oh, Spotify 😞

Suggested posts