Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Linux Desktop - Couldn't Log In to Spotify Error [Resolved]

Solved!

Linux Desktop - Couldn't Log In to Spotify Error [Resolved]

Running: Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon 64 Bit - Cinnamon version 3.4.4 - Linux Kernal 4.10.0.27-generic - Everything up to date

I have Spotify Premium

Issue: I install Spotify via the terminal as directed by the website. Once it's installed I go to login with Facebook. Instead of succesfully logging me in it gives me the following error:

Couldn't log in to Spotify

What's going on
There's a temporary issue with logging in to Spotify. Sorry about that!
What you can do
Get the latest Spotify desktop app and log in again.

I did try that. Uninstalled Spotify and re-installed it. Still no luck. Went ahead and disconnected Spotify from my Facebook, went through the desktop app to log in, reconnected, same error. Did that again but this time clearing my cookies in Firefox. I can get in just fine through the web browser and the phone app on Android is running perfectly.

Other things I've tried:

> clearing Spotify cache through terminal (one of the only things I could do through the given Linux troubleshooting guide on the forum)

> entering my Facebook email and password [obviously didn't work]

> restarted my computer multiple times

> logged out and back into my Android app with no issue

I'm at a loss. Google isn't helping me at all and I just want this to work. I'm willing to try anything.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I got it to work by using Google Chrome to sign in instead of Firefox. Went as far as to reinstall the OS and the solution was so simple. Hope this works for others!

View solution in original post

6 Replies

I have the exact same issue. On Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS. I hope someone can figure this out!

Honestly. I'm debating just trying to reinstall my OS since I don't have
much installed anyway. Will keep you posted if I do.
Marked as solution

I got it to work by using Google Chrome to sign in instead of Firefox. Went as far as to reinstall the OS and the solution was so simple. Hope this works for others!

I had the same problem. Solved it by changing the repository to testing and reinstalled. I did purged spotify-client and removed all configuration files and directories before reinstalling. Your solutions is definetely easier though.

This is only my first week of using Linux so I would've never thought of that. Hopefully that helps for others if they dont want to install Chrome or it doesn't work.

Glad to hear! I was able to get it working by not attempting to login using facebook and just applied my username and password directly to the app instead (this was the other option besides login using facebook). I did have to change my password via my spotify.com account first. 

Suggested posts