Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Linux] Fedora RPM package for F17-F19

Solved!

[Linux] Fedora RPM package for F17-F19

Current method to install the spotify rpm is based on the rpmfusion lpf-spotify-client package. Basically, this automates the process of downloading, building and installing a spotity rpm based on the official Debian packages.

EDIT: Bug reported (page 19), temporary work-around published.

EDIT: New solution based on the rpmfusion lpf-spotify-client package. Old  method deprecated but still available.

EDIT: updated for new upstream release: 0.9.4.183.g644e24e.428-2

EDIT: Solution updated for 0.9.1.55.

EDIT: Downgrading procedure to 0.8.4 published

EDIT: Update header to include F19

EDIT: Solution updated for 0.9.0.133

EDIT: updating link

EDIT: new solution for 0.8.8 published.

223 Replies

Thanks for these very clear instructions and for making all the efforts to get the licensing/distribution thing sorted out.*

Only part I didn't really understand was this bit:

$ env QA_RPATHS=$((0x02|0x08))...

I get the rest of the line (rpmbuild -bb ...)

Again, thanks for all the work.

*Linux has been around for 23 years, Red Hat for 20 years, OSS for even longer... I find it a bit tedious that companies haven't figured it out yet.

The QA_RPATHS governs how /usr/lib/rpm/check-rpaths reacts when finding the rpaths in the spotify binary. If rpmbuild is configured to run check-rpaths the build will fail without t QA_RPATHS.

Not all users have a setup running check-rpaths. In that case QA_RPATHS is just ignored. In order to keep the instruction short, I just left it this way which works in all cases

Hi!

Running CentOS 6.4 here.

I just built the RPM following the instructions on page 3, no problems there. But when I try to install it I get the following error:

Error: Package: spotify-client-0.8.8.323.gd143501.250-3.el6.x86_64 (/spotify-client-0.8.8.323.gd143501.250-3.el6.x86_64)
           Requires: libnss3.so.1d(NSS_3.9.2)(64bit)
Error: Package: spotify-client-0.8.8.323.gd143501.250-3.el6.x86_64 (/spotify-client-0.8.8.323.gd143501.250-3.el6.x86_64)
           Requires: libnss3.so.1d(NSS_3.9.3)(64bit)
           Requires: libnss3.so.1d(NSS_3.12)(64bit)
           Requires: libnss3.so.1d(NSS_3.11)(64bit)

And then the same error for each of the versioned libs.

You are probably missing some libs, I don't have control over CentOS. There are no success stories published on CentOS either, so I just presume there are missing bits. Basically, let's say CentOS isn't supported by the RPM (there is more Fedora-specific stuff in that specfile...)

I suggest you try  the installer at https://github.com/leamas/spotify-make . This will give you more control and ways to walk around possible problems then  a shrink-wrapped, fedora-specific RPM.

Hi!

I tried your installer successfully (listening to music right now 🙂 )

However I get this right at startup:

/usr/local/lib/spotify-client/spotify: /usr/local/lib/spotify-client/libcrypto.so.0.9.8: no version information available (required by /usr/local/lib/spotify-client/spotify)
/usr/local/lib/spotify-client/spotify: /usr/lib64/libssl.so.0.9.8: no version information available (required by /usr/local/lib/spotify-client/spotify)

Works fine though, thanks a bunch!

(edited to add that this is CentOS 6.4, x86_64)

Those messages are because the bundled libs lacks compiled version info. This info is not required anyway, and the messages are harmless.

Since success stories are useful for others, it would be nice if you repeated this nice message in the installer thread 🙂

Thanks a bunch!

Just works on F17 x64.

Cheers,

Mihkel

Excellent instructions!

The installation for build 0.8.8 still works.

I didn't get any errors during install and the music is now streaming through my speakers.

My Fedora 17 build:

Linux 3.8.4-102.fc17.x86_64 #1 SMP Sun Mar 24 13:09:09 UTC 2013

Thank you!

Big thanks! Running on:

Fedora release 18 (Spherical Cow)

Linux optimistijolla 3.8.8-202.fc18.i686 #1 SMP Wed Apr 17 23:46:26 UTC 2013 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

seemed to work ok for me

Linux saturn 3.8.8-202.fc18.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Apr 17 23:25:17 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Thu 25 Apr 13:21:04 CEST 2013

leamas,

Thanks for you scripts. I found it easy to install spotify (I went for system-wide) and it runs from terminal but the .desktop file isn't showing in the Gnome Shell menu.

make register runs okay

[root@spotify ]# make register
gtk-update-icon-cache --ignore-theme-index \
/opt/local/share/icons/hicolor
desktop-file-validate \
/opt/local/share/applications/spotify.desktop
update-desktop-database /opt/local/share/applications

but the app is not being added to gnome shell. I've reloaded gnome, it's not a cache problem.

My system is a fresh install of fedora 18, gnome 3.

Since you are on plain F18, you might be better off trying the spec file + rpm build procedure. Follow the "Solution" link from the top of this thread.

If you want to use the install scripts instead, please refer to the installer thread

I uninstalled and changed to RPM built from your spec.

Problems:

1. The gnome shell menu entry has no icon.

2. Local files (plain old mp3)  won't play. I've installed gstreamer-ffmpeg and -bad and -ugly. They play in the gnome totem app.

3. Device discovery is a bit random. I have other devices on the network and they sometimes show up but not always.

UPDATE : The device discovery seems okay. I need to play a non-offline song for the device to get detected.

Check that the file /usr/share/applications/spotify-client.desktop is installed (it should be). Restart the shell (Alt-F2 + 'r') or logout/login) and the menu icon should be OK.

Also check that there are nothing spotify-related in ~/.-local/share (leftovers from installer script...)

The local files problem is acknowledged by spotify,, seach in the announce thread for 0.8.8

The log out fixed the icon thing. I assumed it was the same problem I'd had with the installer but it wasn't.

The local mp3 file problem is a pain. My wife is trying to assemble a playlist using spotify and her MP3 collection. She's picked some Oasis and Beatles that are local, and play on synced devices but don't play on the desktop client.

Has anyone managed to figure out if it's a library conflict or a missing file. I tried symlinking libavcodec.so.52/53 files to the .so.54 version. No luck.

As I said, this is  known bug. Parbo said he was going to look into it, but has not been heard on the subject since.

For your wife, I recommend using e. g. rhythmbox or banshee for local files.  That's what I've told my wife 🙂

The solution is now updated for 0.9.0.133. Follow the "Solution" link from the top of this thread. As always, feedback is more than welcome.

This is an entirely new version of the rpm based on my installer script (thread). The good is that the spec file is much simpler, the bad is that this is a lot of new stuff which might introduce errors.

Enjoy!

--alec

thanks again for continuing to do great work. 

Installed 0.9.0.133 with new script on FC18.x86_64

I get an error message when I start Spotify:

Warning

You are not member of audio group, problems ahead

When I press 'OK' Spotify starts normally and everything seems to be working correctly.

Thanks,

Ivan

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I get the error even if I add myself to the audio group. I didn't have this problem with the older version.

i got that same error, but so far all is working well. I'm not sure what it means.

@ivnmad wrote:

Installed 0.9.0.133 with new script on FC18.x86_64

I get an error message when I start Spotify:

Warning

You are not member of audio group, problems ahead

When I press 'OK' Spotify starts normally and everything seems to be working correctly.

Thanks,

Ivan

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I get the error even if I add myself to the audio group. I didn't have this problem with the older version.

Suggested posts