Announcements
Hi folks! We're aware of reports about your Wrapped stories misbehaving and we're looking into it. We've managed to fix the issue with the Wrapped banner/stories not showing up. More info here. If the stories cause your app to stop responding, please subscribe here. We'll keep you updated on that thread.

[Linux] Fedora RPM package for F17-F19

Solved!
Highlighted

Re: Fedora RPM package for F17-F18

Regular

leamas,

Thanks for you scripts. I found it easy to install spotify (I went for system-wide) and it runs from terminal but the .desktop file isn't showing in the Gnome Shell menu.

make register runs okay

[root@spotify ]# make register
gtk-update-icon-cache --ignore-theme-index \
/opt/local/share/icons/hicolor
desktop-file-validate \
/opt/local/share/applications/spotify.desktop
update-desktop-database /opt/local/share/applications

but the app is not being added to gnome shell. I've reloaded gnome, it's not a cache problem.

My system is a fresh install of fedora 18, gnome 3.

Highlighted

Community Legend

Since you are on plain F18, you might be better off trying the spec file + rpm build procedure. Follow the "Solution" link from the top of this thread.

If you want to use the install scripts instead, please refer to the installer thread

Highlighted

Regular

I uninstalled and changed to RPM built from your spec.

Problems:

1. The gnome shell menu entry has no icon.

2. Local files (plain old mp3)  won't play. I've installed gstreamer-ffmpeg and -bad and -ugly. They play in the gnome totem app.

3. Device discovery is a bit random. I have other devices on the network and they sometimes show up but not always.

UPDATE : The device discovery seems okay. I need to play a non-offline song for the device to get detected.

Highlighted

Community Legend

Check that the file /usr/share/applications/spotify-client.desktop is installed (it should be). Restart the shell (Alt-F2 + 'r') or logout/login) and the menu icon should be OK.

Also check that there are nothing spotify-related in ~/.-local/share (leftovers from installer script...)

The local files problem is acknowledged by spotify,, seach in the announce thread for 0.8.8

Highlighted

Regular

The log out fixed the icon thing. I assumed it was the same problem I'd had with the installer but it wasn't.

The local mp3 file problem is a pain. My wife is trying to assemble a playlist using spotify and her MP3 collection. She's picked some Oasis and Beatles that are local, and play on synced devices but don't play on the desktop client.

Has anyone managed to figure out if it's a library conflict or a missing file. I tried symlinking libavcodec.so.52/53 files to the .so.54 version. No luck.

Highlighted

Community Legend

As I said, this is  known bug. Parbo said he was going to look into it, but has not been heard on the subject since.

For your wife, I recommend using e. g. rhythmbox or banshee for local files.  That's what I've told my wife 🙂

Highlighted

Community Legend

The solution is now updated for 0.9.0.133. Follow the "Solution" link from the top of this thread. As always, feedback is more than welcome.

This is an entirely new version of the rpm based on my installer script (thread). The good is that the spec file is much simpler, the bad is that this is a lot of new stuff which might introduce errors.

Enjoy!

--alec

Highlighted

Regular

thanks again for continuing to do great work. 

Regular

Installed 0.9.0.133 with new script on FC18.x86_64

I get an error message when I start Spotify:

Warning

You are not member of audio group, problems ahead

When I press 'OK' Spotify starts normally and everything seems to be working correctly.

Thanks,

Ivan

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I get the error even if I add myself to the audio group. I didn't have this problem with the older version.

Highlighted

Regular

i got that same error, but so far all is working well. I'm not sure what it means.

@ivnmad wrote:

Installed 0.9.0.133 with new script on FC18.x86_64

I get an error message when I start Spotify:

Warning

You are not member of audio group, problems ahead

When I press 'OK' Spotify starts normally and everything seems to be working correctly.

Thanks,

Ivan

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I get the error even if I add myself to the audio group. I didn't have this problem with the older version.

SUGGESTED POSTS