Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Linux: Serious graphics issue

Solved!

Linux: Serious graphics issue

Hi,

I am a premium spotify member. I use it on my Linux mainly. My machine runs Ubuntu 14.04. I also tried purging and re-installing spotify. The problem remains. I also removed the "hardware acceleration" in settings.

My problem is that after 20-30 minutes of music listening, spotify stops displaying any graphics. Just white panels everywhere. Streaming is normal. I can still listen to music and I can still browse my playlists. But when it comes to graphics nothing is shown. I am attaching a screenshot. If I "killall" spotify and start it again, things get worse. Not only all graphics inside the browser are white, performance degrades a lot. All words (inside spotify client) are flickering as if the refreshing rate of my screen is under 10hz.

Spotify version is 0.9.17.1

Screenshot from 2015-11-11 11:47:40.png

Screenshot from 2015-11-11 11:54:05.png

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi xpanta, in fact updating Java may have been a false solution - it stopped working again!

I've tried to install the unstable testing build for Linux. No issue (yet).

Details on how to install this build:

http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2015/06/install-spotify-client-1-x-beta-ubuntu/

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Hi there,

I also have had the same issue recently in Ubuntu 14.04.

Not sure what has caused this all of a sudden but I have also recently encountered similar problems in other applications (eg Virtual Box). My hunch is an update somewhere in Ubuntu/Linux broke these applications, including Spotify.

Running Lenovo laptop with integrated + dedicated graphics with X-Org driver.

+1

All graphics showing a white screen as in the screenshots above on Ubuntu 14.04 on Lenovo T440s. Launched with --disable-accelerated-layers --disable-accelerated-fixed-root-background and problem persists. Unintsalled & reinstalled and problem persists. killall spotify and relaunch freezes spotify client....

After some research, this may in fact be an issue with Java.

I was running Open JDK 7 and this weird graphical behaviour is a recognized bug with some applications.

Try install Open JDK 8 and set it as default with the update alternatives command. Might work for you.

What? Wait! what does Java have to do with Spotify?

Did you try that yourself? Did it solve any problems?

Thanks for your input and time.
Marked as solution

Hi xpanta, in fact updating Java may have been a false solution - it stopped working again!

I've tried to install the unstable testing build for Linux. No issue (yet).

Details on how to install this build:

http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2015/06/install-spotify-client-1-x-beta-ubuntu/

Thank you!!

hi, are we totally sure that installing the unstable build solves the issue?

Hi, I don't know if this helps the developers. But this is what I get in my terminal window just before the occurrence of this issue.

QNativeImage: Unable to attach to shared memory segment.
[1113/085247:ERROR:browser_main_loop.cc(212)] Gdk: shmget failed: error 28 (No space left on device)
06:52:53.234 I [social_reporter.cpp:220         ] SocialReporter: A track was added to a playlist

Hi, had the same issue! I can confirm that provided solution works!

Hi xpanta,

I was getting the same qt errors in Spotify and other applications.

The unstable build (v1.0.17.75.g8f111100 for me) so far appears to be a working solution to this issue. Will report back if it breaks.

Perhaps v1 doesn't use qt?

Update: Can confirm Spotify still working with the unstable build. 

Suggested posts