Linux client barely usable on HiDPI displays

Solved!
Highlighted

Re: Linux client barely usable on HiDPI displays

To avoid this double items, instead of copying the desktop file, the original snap app desktop file can be edited (with sudo) in /var/lib/snapd/desktop/applications/spotify_spotify.desktop (cf https://askubuntu.com/questions/919091/why-snap-files-cannot-be-modified-in-any-way).

Adding `--force-device-scale-factor=1.5` (or 2.5 in my case with a UHD screen) gets everything in order except the mouse size...

Highlighted

Casual Listener

Thanks for that, that solved it for me!

Highlighted

Great tip! Here's what I did on 17.10 in case it helps anyone:

1. Open up Spotify snap desktop shortcut:
    $ sudo gedit /var/lib/snapd/desktop/applications/spotify_spotify.desktop
  2. Add --force-device-scale-factor=2.0 (or 1.5 or whatever scale factor you want) to the Exec line:
    Exec=env BAMF_DESKTOP_FILE_HINT=/var/lib/snapd/desktop/applications/spotify_spotify.desktop /snap/bin/spotify --force-device-scale-factor=2.0 %U 

Highlighted

For anyone interested, for Elementary OS (Loki) the corresponding actions are below:

sudo gedit /usr/share/applications/spotify.desktop

Once you have the file open, change the Exec to:

Exec=spotify --force-device-scale-factor=2.0 %U

Change the scale to whatever suits you - 2.0 works for me on a 13" Retina Macbook...

I'm new to linux (I have the Ubuntu 16.04 version) and I tried to change the spotify.desktop file. I could do that by nothing has changed when I open Spotify again. All I get is the reply in the terminal:

ATTENTION: default value of option force_s3tc_enable overridden by environment.

Could someone help me, please?

P.S. I installed it via the command lines Spotify gives on the Download page for Linux, not via snap

SUGGESTED POSTS