Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Need help installing

Solved!

Need help installing

i've just bought a new linux os laptop and tried to install spotify. However i got this error.

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
spotify-client : Depends: libgconf-2-4 but it is not installable
Recommends: libavcodec57 but it is not installable or
libavcodec-extra57 but it is not installable or
libavcodec-ffmpeg56 but it is not installable or
libavcodec-ffmpeg-extra56 but it is not installable or
libavcodec54 but it is not installable or
libavcodec-extra-54 but it is not installable
Recommends: libavformat57 but it is not installable or
libavformat-ffmpeg56 but it is not installable or
libavformat54 but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hello @BroAce27. Thanks for posting in the Spotify Community!

While Spotify for Linux is currently not a platform that is actively supported (it's a labor of love from Spotify's engineers that wanted to listen to Spotify on their Linux development machines) I'll see if I can point you in the right direction to get you up and running.

I don't run Linux on a daily basis, but have a background in using it for servers, so am quite familiar with using the terminal to install / remove software packages. There is an installation instructions page for Spotify for Linux that you can check out if you haven't already.

Your log output specifically denotes that the spotify-client : Depends: libgconf-2-4 but it is not installable which effectively means that the libgconf-2-4 (and other 3rd party packages in the list) are, well, not installable on your system for some reason. Could be that your package manager is misconfigured, or it could be that there are packages in a broken state on your system. 

It's hard to say without being able to see more details, however, you may want to check out handy places such as StackExchange for the held broken packages error as a starting point. Please note that this is a 3rd party website not supported by Spotify, so proceed with caution, or ask for assistance from someone you trust locally with Linux experience.

Hopefully this helps get you pointed in the right direction. Keep on rocking! 🎸

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Marked as solution

Hello @BroAce27. Thanks for posting in the Spotify Community!

While Spotify for Linux is currently not a platform that is actively supported (it's a labor of love from Spotify's engineers that wanted to listen to Spotify on their Linux development machines) I'll see if I can point you in the right direction to get you up and running.

I don't run Linux on a daily basis, but have a background in using it for servers, so am quite familiar with using the terminal to install / remove software packages. There is an installation instructions page for Spotify for Linux that you can check out if you haven't already.

Your log output specifically denotes that the spotify-client : Depends: libgconf-2-4 but it is not installable which effectively means that the libgconf-2-4 (and other 3rd party packages in the list) are, well, not installable on your system for some reason. Could be that your package manager is misconfigured, or it could be that there are packages in a broken state on your system. 

It's hard to say without being able to see more details, however, you may want to check out handy places such as StackExchange for the held broken packages error as a starting point. Please note that this is a 3rd party website not supported by Spotify, so proceed with caution, or ask for assistance from someone you trust locally with Linux experience.

Hopefully this helps get you pointed in the right direction. Keep on rocking! 🎸

Hi 

Don't know what version of Linux you are running but if its Ubuntu you may need to install https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats , the lack of this has tripped me up in the past when attempting to install Spotify

Hi there

libgconf-2-4 was removed from Kali on August 7, following its removal from Debian. Since Kali is a rolling distribution, there’s no reliable way of installing the package — technically you could try to install an older copy of the package, but you would then have to deal with any problems that might cause in the future.

or you can just install Spotify from snap,it's still avaliable.

To install spotify via snap, you need to install snap first:

sudo apt install snapd
service snapd start
sudo systemctl restart snapd.service

and then install Spotify:

sudo snap install spotify

Then you can enjoy music again!

I was wondering, what do you mean its removal from Debian? Is it no longer based on it?

Suggested posts