Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Notifications Bug [Linux Desktop - Gnome]

Notifications Bug [Linux Desktop - Gnome]

There is a bug in the current Linux desktop app on any distro using gnome 42 effecting notifications. 

Notifications of the next playing track appear in the notification panel at the top of the screen however the notification message never displays as a popup, as they did previously. I have checked the notifications settings in the GNOME system settings and Spotify app and the popup option is enabled. Disabling and reenabling the notification in Spotify or system settings do not change this. 

Other applications correctly display popups and the notification in the notifications panel. 

This is the same with both the deb package and snap packages.

I have tested this with clean installs of several distros and the bug occurs in any distro using Gnome 42 (testing in table below). 

Distro

Install method

Status

Manjaro

KDE 5.24

X11

Snap

Working

Ubuntu 21.10

Gnome 40

Wayland

Snap/apt

Working

Ubuntu 22.04

Gnome 42

Wayland /X11

Snap/apt

Not working

Fedora 36

Gnome 42

Wayland

Snap

Not working

Manjaro

Gnome 42

X11

Snap

Not working

The last version I found that the popups show correctly for was with Gnome 40 (ubuntu 21.10) and KDE works regardless of version.

Strace dump can be provided if it would help with debugging however this problem is easily reproducible. 

7 Replies

I have noticed this as well running Pop!_OS 22.04 with Gnome 42.2. Installed through snap version 1.1.84.716.gc5f8b819

Issue remains with the latest version 1.1.84.716.gc5f8b819

I have noticed the same behaviour using the flatpak app. Very annoying.

Btw, this does also apply to Rhythmbox.

Issue ongoing with Gnome 43 (Ubuntu 22.10 dev branch) from flatpak app version 1.1.84.716.gc5f8b819

For those having ongoing issues with this - I now use the sp-tray gnome extension to accomplish a similar solution and show artist and song in the top bar. 

This is intended behavior on the Gnome side. The currently playing notification from Spotify is sent out as a low-urgency notification, and since Gnome 42, low-urgency notifications are no longer presented as a banner, they only appear in the notification center. See gnome-shell Issue #4265 (Closed)
In gnome-shell Issue #6005 (Closed) it is shown how the Spotify notifications are low urgency.

About spotify-tray extension:
Great thing! It's even better because I can check the title at any time.
I honestly recommend it!

Suggested posts