Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Problem running client after reinstall

Solved!

Problem running client after reinstall

Hello everyone. I'm facing a tough (for me at least) problem.

I had some problem with my spotify client (I could access the music in my playlists, but not use the search field) so I decided to remove it and reinstall.

Installation seems to have worked fine (after going throught a lot of error messages, finding the solutions on various forums), but when I just run the client, I get a few lines like this one :

spotify: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.18' not found (required by spotify)

libstdc++.so.6 is installed. I tried to update it but I couldn't. Now I don't know what to do...

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Maybe it would work. An OS is basically that. A kernel and some libraries. Upgrading just a few libraries without breaking even more things feels extremely tricky. Personally, I wouldn't bother.

You could try to find the old client you had where search did not work. It was probably deleted from the spotify websites a few years ago though.

You could also try if you get the web player to work, but you would need a fairly modern browser as well, with some plugin to make that work.

https://play.spotify.com

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Oups! I forgot to give you some details :

Linux version : 3.2.0-124-generic-pae (buildd@lcy01-06) (gcc version 4.6.3 (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.3-1ubuntu5) ) #167-Ubuntu SMP Fri Mar 3 15:51:54 UTC 2017

I'm trying to install the latest version from http://repository.spotify.com.

Spotify account : premium

It just looks like your linux installation is quite a bit older than the Ubuntu 16.04 LTS release that we currently target. I also test the client on the Ubuntu 14.04 LTS release to check if it is working there as well, which it still does, but this seems even older.

Open Control Panel All Programs/Programs and click any older Citrix clients to uninstall them. (The various legacy client names and icons are listed below.) After uninstalling older clients, try running the Citrix Receiver installer and for the query related to the printers or any technical issue go to the 

Nipson printers  customer service

I thought about that, but I believed I could update just the libraries needed for spotify to work fine. But you say that there is nothing I can do because that's my whole OS which is too old ?

Marked as solution

Maybe it would work. An OS is basically that. A kernel and some libraries. Upgrading just a few libraries without breaking even more things feels extremely tricky. Personally, I wouldn't bother.

You could try to find the old client you had where search did not work. It was probably deleted from the spotify websites a few years ago though.

You could also try if you get the web player to work, but you would need a fairly modern browser as well, with some plugin to make that work.

https://play.spotify.com

Yes the web player works well, but I prefer using the app.

Anyway, I'm going to update my system. I didn't want to do so because my computer is quite old but, but I'm going to have a try.

Thank you so much for having taken time to answer my questions. It surely saved me a lot more time 🙂

Suggested posts