Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify GUI freezes in Ubuntu 19.10

Spotify GUI freezes in Ubuntu 19.10

Plan

Free

Operating System

Ubuntu 19.10 on Laptop and double display with HDMI cable

My Question or Issue

Hi,

I'm using Spotify on Ubuntu 19.10 and since I installed the software (some days ago) I noticed an annoying bug: the window of the program is freezed and so non-interactable, but music goes on and even keyboard insturctions (play/pause, go on, go back) works normally. I said that the window seems to be freezed because even automatic reshaping  does not work)

It happens very frequently and the only solution that I found is to close and reopen spotify (the close button 'X' works).

119 Replies

I have the same freezing problem as described by everyone else on Ubuntu 19.10.

Installed snap version: 1.1.26.501.gbe11e53b-15

Testing with intel dual-core and 4G of ram snap and ppa versions freeze on ubuntustudio 18.04 .... ppa version works just fine with 8 cores and 24G of ram on ubuntustudio 20.04 daily.  I'm trying to find a 4 core pc and see what happens.

Today I switched to the PPA version from the snap version and I haven't had any problems.

Here's a gist of the exact commands I used.

This gist was solution for me. THX

What worked for me was to go into Snap permissions and disable access to the OpenGL stack. Voila, no more freezing.

Hi BrO

Would you like to share with us how to get in Snap permissions and do the magic?

Sure. Go to software/snap-store and select Spotify (assuming you installed the snap version). Toggle the permission as shown below:

Screenshot-20200427114218-970x708.png

command line I believe it would be:

snap disconnect spotify:opengl

But that didn't solve the problem to me, freezes continue I'm in Lubuntu 20.04 with compton.

with ppa method I have no problem...

Didn't solve the problem on Manjaro with Gnome shell either.

Happens on Fedora 31 too. Changing OpenGL settings in snap does not change absolutely anything.

Same problem with the snap on Xubuntu 20.04

I have tested with six computers ... all Ubuntustudio 18.04 and 20.04 ...

spotify installed from ppa or snap does not make any difference.

HP  intel dual core sff desktops (2pcs) with 4Gb of ram ... both freeze

HP Elitebook with i7 and 4Gb ram ... freezes

Lenovo Y50-70 i5 and 8Gb ram seems to work ... tested 2 hours not 100% sure

HP Z400 workstation with 8 cores and 24Gb ram has been running many weeks without any signs of freezing as well as HP Z800 which was running ubuntustudio daily before 20.04 was published.

it seems to like over 4Gb ram to run smooth ... I still put a ? here.

I don't think it's a RAM issue, I have 16Gb RAM and spotify snap freezes but .deb does not.

It is strange that your deb installation freezes, I haven't seen that happening.

Same with:

Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Release: 20.04
Codename: focal

It plays music. I can't see what I'm doing but I can skip in time. Nothing changes on  GUI but music skips...

Same here on Linux Mint 19.3 Xfce 64bit (Ubuntu 18.04 LTS), Spotify version 1.1.26.501.gbe11e53b.
The player freezes but I still can interact with that (keyboard, mouse - while figuring out where the itens are) and even the window title displays the song. If I switch windows or keep trying to use the interface it gets a white screen, but still responding to my commands. I couldn't figure out when exactly it happens (e.g. time or usage) but, the more I use it the more it happens. I'm a heavy user, it's really annoying me.

So it happens in Ubuntu too. I would have thought that since Snap comes from Canonical it was crashing by some Ubuntu optimization, but I see that's not the case.

Another Fedora user.  Sometimes I get a blank screen when I open it that doesn't go away.  Different combinations of -? and --disable-gpu flags seem to change this (I don't think the -? actually does anything except maybe clear some cache based on process name?)

The "drag the song name" thing mentioned earlier works intermittently.  The player controls in the KDE taskbar work, as do the media controls on my keyboard.

I had installed it through Discover software center, which I think pulls from Snap, but I uninstalled it and reinstalled it using the snap command.  I tried unbinding the OpenGL interface in Snap, didn't see any changes.

What's odd is that I ran this on Arch for months with no issues, and I'm pretty sure that was installed from Snap too.  Regardless it was the same hardware.

Neofetch:

Kernel: 5.6.13-300.fc32.x86_64 
Packages: 2197 (rpm), 12 (snap) 
Shell: bash 5.0.11 
Resolution: 3840x2160 
DE: Plasma 
WM: KWin 
WM Theme: Gently-Blur 
Theme: Gently [Plasma], Breeze [GTK2/3] 
Icons: Breeze-Blur-Glassy Dark [Plasma], Breeze-Blur-Glassy Dark [GTK2/3] 
Terminal: konsole 
CPU: AMD A6-7400K Radeon R5 2C+4G (2) @ 3.500GHz 
GPU: AMD ATI Radeon R5 Graphics 
Memory: 6386MiB / 23045MiB

Also an aside: your post form thinks that <kbd> and <code> are invalid HTML tags, so I had to use Courier New for command line flags.

Hy guys

happen to me too on a Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and the spotify app release is

spotify 1.1.26.501.gbe11e53b-15 41 latest/stable spotify✓ -

The music keep going but I cannot find the logs files to explain better what is happening.

Ciao

Spotify freezes after a few minutes (although playback remains on), I'm able to pause and change songs through my Mint panel.

spoty.jpg

Suggested posts