Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify crashes on startup (Arch linux)

Spotify crashes on startup (Arch linux)

Operating System

Arch Linux (5.5.9-arch1-2)

Spotify (snap info)

version: spotify 1.1.26.501.gbe11e53b-15

revision: 41

My Question or Issue

Spotify will not start, gives this error:

Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)

Let me know what other info I can give. I did a system update yesterday, which might explain the issue.

13 Replies

Hey there @hwebster

Thanks for searching for the answer you need here! 

Just to confirm, have you tried a clean reinstall of the Spotify app on your device? We recommend this step as it'll remove the old drivers first and then install the new ones. This will make sure you get a fresh copy of the latest app version.

Give your device a quick restart as well before you open the newly installed app. 

It's also a good idea to log in to your Spotify account on another device just to check if you observe the same. If it doesn't occur on a different device, we'd suggest making sure that your original device is up to speed with any software updates available.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted. 

I have the same problem
Kernel: x86_64 Linux 5.6.0-2-MANJARO
Spotify (snap info)
version: spotify 1.1.26.501.gbe11e53b-15
revision: 41
My Question or Issue
Spotify will not start, gives this error:
Trace / breakpoint trap (core dumped)
"Just to confirm, have you tried a clean reinstall of the Spotify app on your device? We recommend this step as it'll remove the old drivers first and then install the new ones. This will make sure you get a fresh copy of the latest app version."
I did what you mentioned and still the error persists.

Hi Ivan, thanks for the response.

After clean reinstall and reboot I am still having the same issue.

I don't have any other Linux machines to test on but I can get into Spotify through the web player and on iOS fine.

Hi,

it also happens for me. Here is the log:

> spotify --show-console
Warning: GTK2 does not support Wayland!
08:46:56.028 I [connectivity_manager.cpp:116 ] Access allowance changed from online: 0 stream: 0, sync: 0, persistent conn: 0 to online: 1 stream: 1, sync: 0, persistent conn: 1
08:46:56.043 I [network_controller.cpp:76 ] Connectivity policy is initially allow_all
08:46:56.044 I [network_controller.cpp:78 ] Connection type is initially unknown
08:46:56.044 I [network_controller.cpp:96 ] Enabling all persistent connections
08:46:56.060 I [connectivity_manager.cpp:286 ] Connectivity rules changed from network: 1 (roaming: 0), sync over wifi: 1, sync over cellular: 0 to network: 1 (roaming: 1), sync over wifi: 1, sync over cellular: 0
08:46:56.060 I [connectivity_manager.cpp:134 ] Scheduling emission of signal.
08:46:56.067 I [connectivity_manager.cpp:125 ] Emitting signal.
08:46:56.072 I [nm_network_notifier.cpp:124 ] D-Bus name 'org.freedesktop.NetworkManager' exists on the system bus
08:46:56.078 I [nm_network_notifier.cpp:128 ] Notify subscribers on NetworkManager detection (current state is 'NM_STATE_CONNECTED_GLOBAL')
08:46:56.078 I [nm_network_notifier.cpp:180 ] Successfully connected to 'org.freedesktop.NetworkManager'
fish: “spotify --show-console” terminated by signal SIGTRAP (Trace or breakpoint trap)

After downgrading Spotfiy via Snap tools, everything works again.

Hope this helps

Cheers!

PS: Thanks for your hard work, i use spotify nearly daily on my linux pcs ^^

May I ask how you downgraded versions?

I get a similar error:

17:22:08.479 I [connectivity_manager.cpp:116 ] Access allowance changed from online: 0 stream: 0, sync: 0, persistent conn: 0 to online: 1 stream: 1, sync: 0, persistent conn: 1
17:22:08.480 I [network_controller.cpp:76 ] Connectivity policy is initially allow_all
17:22:08.480 I [network_controller.cpp:78 ] Connection type is initially unknown
17:22:08.480 I [network_controller.cpp:96 ] Enabling all persistent connections
17:22:08.481 I [connectivity_manager.cpp:286 ] Connectivity rules changed from network: 1 (roaming: 0), sync over wifi: 1, sync over cellular: 0 to network: 1 (roaming: 1), sync over wifi: 1, sync over cellular: 0
17:22:08.481 I [connectivity_manager.cpp:134 ] Scheduling emission of signal.
17:22:08.481 I [connectivity_manager.cpp:125 ] Emitting signal.

Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)

If you're using snap its:

sudo snap revert spotify

with that it reverts to the version before the update ^^

I had the same problem, the app doesn't work, but installing it from the AUR seems to work

Ivan, are you a Linux user? I ask because I have yet to see you offer any sort useful answer or help... I'm starting to wonder if you're not a bot?

Anyway. This may be a duplicate of https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Linux/App-is-not-opening/m-p/4916043

If so you will find a solution.

yeah, there is sth goofy with the snap image ^^v

Honestly, the snap and deb packages are junk. Spotify doesn't seem to care very much about the desktop let alone desktop Linux. If you want the most painless experience just use the unofficial flatpak. We (I am a contributor) actually care and will fix (read: workaround the garbage that is the Spotify desktop client) what we can.  

Could you give me the info for the Spotify flatpak? That would be great because I'm not a big fan of snap anyway.

Sure, head over to flathub's Arch Quick Setup page.

https://flatpak.org/setup/Arch/

Follow the instructions to install flatpak.

I'm not an Arch user but you may also need to add the flathub repo. It's not mentioned in the Arch setup but is mentioned in the Ubuntu setup.

flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo

Then go to the flathub Spotify Client page and install it by following the command line install instructions at the bottom of the page.

https://flathub.org/apps/details/com.spotify.Client

For reference here is the ArchWiki on flatpak:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Flatpak 

As far as what the flatpak is:

It's basically a wrapper. It downloads the deb and extracts the binaries (we pretty much throw away the rest of the assets). In the process we workaround a few bugs.

1. Local playback actually works. We achieve this by bundling the last version of ffmpeg that Spotify is actually really compatible with. (Spotify expects an ancient version of ffmpeg) 

2. We use svg icons, including a symbolic icon. (the default icons are png's that don't even follow their own logo guidelines. They are the wrong color.)

3. We set the title bar to the dark variant of the theme if possible to match the rest of the client's UI.

4. Opening Spotify links actually works as expected. As in it will open the link in an existing instance if one exists as opposed to spawning a new instance.  

5. Semi proper HDPI UI scaling.

6. Complete appstream data.

7. A complete .desktop file.

There is a limit to what we can do though. We can't see inside nor change the binaries.

Suggested posts