Still in development? Or abandoned?

Plan Premium

Country CZ

Device

PC

Operating System

Debian Sid

My Question or Issue

Hi, is Spotify for Linux still in development? Updates for Spotify for Android come out quite frequently, but for S4L I've only seen one update in over a year that just brought new bugs.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @RH47 

The Linux app is not actively supported on the same schedule as the Windows and Mac desktop apps. So from time to time the Linux app will be updated, but in general it will be slower to get the changes you see in the Windows and Mac desktop apps.

The Web Player has the same infrastructure as the Windows and Mac desktop apps but with less features, so you could try going to open.spotify.com to see if there are newer features there. 

From the Linux download page:

"Spotify for Linux is a labor of love from our engineers that wanted to listen to Spotify on their Linux development machines. They work on it in their spare time and it is currently not a platform that we actively support. The experience may differ from our other Spotify Desktop clients, such as Windows and Mac. You can tell us what you think and ask other users for help at the Desktop (Linux) board in The Spotify Community forum."

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Marked as solution

Hey @RH47 

The Linux app is not actively supported on the same schedule as the Windows and Mac desktop apps. So from time to time the Linux app will be updated, but in general it will be slower to get the changes you see in the Windows and Mac desktop apps.

The Web Player has the same infrastructure as the Windows and Mac desktop apps but with less features, so you could try going to open.spotify.com to see if there are newer features there. 

From the Linux download page:

"Spotify for Linux is a labor of love from our engineers that wanted to listen to Spotify on their Linux development machines. They work on it in their spare time and it is currently not a platform that we actively support. The experience may differ from our other Spotify Desktop clients, such as Windows and Mac. You can tell us what you think and ask other users for help at the Desktop (Linux) board in The Spotify Community forum."

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts