Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Window goes blank after a while, Manjaro XFCE

Solved!

Window goes blank after a while, Manjaro XFCE

I use the Spotify snap (1.1.26.501.gbe11e53b), minimised, and at irregular intervals, maybe every half hour, I switch back to find the entire window is blank white. The the XFCE titlebar is unchanged, and music keeps playing. The only way I can find to make it usable again is to start a new Spotify instance, which of course means stopping my music on the old instance, inconveniently. Media controls still function, but without being able to see the screen it's impractical to switch songs. The window certainly responds to inputs, but provides no visual feedback.

Plan

Premium

Device

Dell Inspiron 13 5378 2-in-1

Operating System

Manjaro Linux 19.0.2 Kyria (running Xfce 4.14)

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I must ask, did you try the AUR package?

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Hey there @IFcoltransG

Thanks for searching for the answer you need here! 

Just to confirm, have you tried a clean reinstall of the Spotify app on your Dell Inspiron? We recommend this step as it'll remove the old drivers first and then install the new ones. This tends to solve issues with the app's performance.

Give your device a quick restart as well before you open the newly installed app. 

It's also a good idea to log in to your Spotify account on another device just to check if you observe the same. If it doesn't occur on a different device, we'd suggest making sure that your original device is up to speed with any software updates available.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted. 

Given the link doesn't give instructions for reinstalling the linux snap, here are the steps I took:

Successfully used snap to remove spotify from the command line

Did a search for files with 'spotify' in their name and deleted said files

Restarted my computer

Reinstalled Spotify using snap and signed in

Having used Spotify for another several hours, the problem has not yet reoccurred.

After following the instructions I mentioned, the problem continues to happen, intermittently.

+1, happens to me too.

Same version, running Manjaro KDE.

Quite by accident, I've discovered a workaround to when the screen freezes. You can still click buttons when the screen freezes, but more importantly, if you drag a song over a playlist (basing where you click on whatever used to be on screen) then functionality returns, as the hovering highlight appears to say you can put the song in the playlist. This unfreezes the screen, but I am unsure if this works when the screen turns entirely white.

Marked as solution

I must ask, did you try the AUR package?

I second this. I was having similar problems as OP described, but I had installed Spotify with snap.

AUR package works perfectly fine with no issues so far.

Suggested posts