Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Apple Silicon and Spotify

Solved!

Apple Silicon and Spotify

Plan

Premium

Country

Device

Macbook Air M1 2020

Operating System

macOS Big Sur

My Question or Issue

Hi! I'm just asking when are you going to release an Universal or a M1 optimized version of the Spotify desktop app, because Rosetta 2 is going soon to be removed from macOS (according to latest macOS 11.3) and that would make impossible to install the Spotify desktop app on Apple Silicon. And also, by releasing a native binary, it would be faster and more stable.

P.D: AFAIK most of the components you use are already ported to Apple Silicon (CEF, and most third-party libraries) so it's on your side

156 Replies

This also happens to me and now my app won't open at all even though I've cleared it and restalled it mutiple times.

Send help

Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 10.49.36 AM.png

I've been waiting months for Spotify to fix this and am stunned that every time I check back, there has been no headway on this issue. Other companies have optimized or at least fixed crashing on M1 macs without requiring users to vote on the issue, report troubleshooting, etc., so I'm really at a loss why Spotify can't do the same.

Since Spotify can't be bothered to keep up with competition, I'm not going to be bothered to keep waiting. I'm giving Apple Music a try and hopefully if Spotify gets its act together with the M1 issues, I'll consider resubscribing.

Simply put, I'm disappointed, waiting for months

I've been using Spotify for about 7 years. I'm going to give this another week or two for a thorough fix, otherwise I'm canceling and switching to Apple Music.

I've had my m1 Mac for about 4 months. At first, I was happy to be patient with this, but as others have pointed out here, Spotify has had ample time to reconcile the issue.

same. least stable app on M1

I recently bought a M1 Macbook Air, and I'm experiencing the same problem every day. Spotify's desktop app crashes on average twice a day while the computer is on, once even while it was playing a song, and also each time after I turn it back on from sleep.

I waited as long as I could. Spotify keeps crashing, and I have tried everything possible. Just made the switch to Apple Music. Really wanted to stay with/support the "little guy" but Spotify apparently couldn't care less, so I don't have much of a choice. I imagine many others will follow and make the switch. 

Yup, same here. Bought an m1 Air on Saturday and it's been a crash fest ever since. Another **bleep** move is the iOS app being prevented from running on m1 Macs, so we have a perfect situation with two non-working apps. Well, desktop app is technically working, but it acts up and crashes so often that's it's barely usable. Funny thing is, I've got a Deezer subscription for free via my carrier, but I still chose to pay for Spotify as I found it to be a superior service for music lovers. You see the past tense in the last sentence...? Please wise up and fix the app, as there are many options out there, and no matter how good Spotify is it's simply not worth it if one can't use it.

I'm not that computer savvy and so I thought I'm the only one experiencing this problem but when the crashes kept on, I decided to Google search and found this thread. And I also noticed that it has been months since people are raising this issue and Spotify still hasn't done anything.

And yeah, I also did the clean reinstall twice.

For everyone facing issues, try using the web version.

Actually, I would say using the Web Version then you can install the Chrome app and it will look like a desktop app, will run as the same as the desktop app.

Unfortunately, is the only way out for now.

Whoever thought of this, you are a genius. Also you can put the Chrome app in the dock and launch it independently, too.

Until lazy Spotify devs start earning their wage, pray for the guy who thought of the Chrome app solution.

Agree!

One shouldn't be compelled to be computer-savvy in order to use a music app. Ever noticed how developers are generally overpaid, yet manage to consistently deliver underwhelming experiences? And unlike any other profession, their errors, laziness and lack of competence are hidden behind the (buzz)word "bug"? The Spotify people should at least enable the iPad app on m1 Macs until they get off their behinds to provide proper desktop support.

I think Spotify doesn't want us 😞

Or they would RESPOND to this issue and tell us to install their Web App:

1. Download Chrome
  2. Login to Spotify Web https://open.spotify.com
  3. Click "Install Spotify", in the Chrome menu (the 3 dots in the top right)

Now you have an app on your desktop which you can pin to the Dock, search for in Spotify, etc.. and doesn't crash!

Why didn't someone at Spotify think to tell us this at least?

OR maybe, just let us use the iPad app?!

I mean seriously Spotify, are you ok?

This is just ridiculous.

Your app is built on Electron, which supports M1 chips out-of-the-box since October 2020. The Electron team even made the manual for this:
https://www.electronjs.org/blog/apple-silicon
All you need is to point the target platform as Apple Silicon. I strongly hesitate that you have any major pitfalls with the new platform, considering the fact that your app works smoothly even on web (and Electron, surprise-surprise, is a web-based framework).

I am a bit worried about M1's SSD wear issues caused primarily by rosetta-translated apps. And that fact that you are just ignoring such easy and, at the same time, such important issue, says a lot about your attitude to your users. It's very disappointing.

aaaand I'm out. So long, Spotify. We had a good run of me ignoring my scruples about you ripping off the artists in favor of a really good product. As you're no longer satisfying the latter, I've unsubscribed.

Seriously? Almost a year later and no support, no decent reply. It's crashing every hour. Spotify is the *only* app I'm having a problem with so far.

I always assumed it was Apple that was stopping support on HomePod but turns out the situation is exactly the same there. Total lack of response. 

This is beyond a joke and might be the final straw for me. 

There is also a Feature Request post with more than 2.3K votes and you guys aren't even considering it.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Desktop-Developer-Add-support-for-Apple-Silicon-ARM64-on...

This is just next level BS.

Suggested posts