Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Crashing on startup/search issues

Solved!

Crashing on startup/search issues

Hi all,

A number of users are experiencing some Spotify issues at the moment - crashing on startup, search not working, etc.

Could you help us out by posting the following info:

-- Operating system(s) affected

-- Version of Spotify

-- Country

Thanks everyone. The more accurate info we can collect the faster we can get this fixed.

--------------------------------------------------------------

For common support questions, see support.spotify.com.
To judge my musical taste, check out my last.fm.
291 Replies

Exactly the same case as Ansjon. I could copy+paste it. The only difference is country: Poland. Started like a week ago.

I just started having this problem today, on Mac OSX 10.6.8.

Solved it by uninstalling Spotify using an app called AppCleaner (it's free). Downloaded Spotify again, reinstalled it, good as gold.

That worked, thank you so much!! 🙂

I have been having this problem over and over for the past few months, I'm about fed up with it. I've done a clean re-install a few times a per week since then. Works fine after that, until another day when it starts crashing again. What seems to eventually get it crashing again is when I try to add tracks to a playlist. Whether I drag and drop or use the right-click function, doesn't matter. I might be able to add a few things without issue, then the next one will make it crash. And once it crashes, I can't just re-open and get back to business - the problems are endless until I do a clean install AGAIN. 

This has happened on both my personal MacBook and my office MacBook, both running the same OS and latest version of Spotify.

Mac OS X 10.9.1

Spotify 0.9.7.16g4b197456

USA

@sidewinder03 - This is an issue the Spotify team are investigating, could you add your details to this topic?

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Spotify-crashes-when-adding-songs-to-play...

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I attempted to launch the Spotify application today on my Mac running OS X 10.6.8. Spotify will open for approximately 5 to 10 seconds then shut down. I have uninstalled and reinstalled with the same result. any suggestions?

OS version: OS X 10.6.8 (10K549).

Spofity version: 0.9.7.16.g4b197456

Country of use: New Zealand
Account type: Premium

As a quick update I deleated all package data within the spotify app and reinstalled. that also did not improve the app instently shutting down

Did you the AppCleaner as Europa2010AD mentioned above?

Dont foget to KUDOS if you think this post helpful 🙂

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

Yeah I gave AppCleaner a go, didn't work for me. However, I seem to have resloved the issue in the mean while by following the below guide which shows you a easy way to delete the app bundles and how to delete hidden registery files by hand. 

http://guides.macrumors.com/Uninstalling_Applications_in_Mac_OS_X

http://guides.macrumors.com/Image:ScreenCap_2.jpg

This worked for me;  Thank you

Spoiler

OSX 10.8.5

Spotify 0.9.7.16.g4b197456

USA

I am not having any issues on startup. My issues all revolve around search. If I use the desktop player using all other features (browse, discover, playlists, apps) everything functions as expected. If I search I get results and can navigate to those results. The player keeps playing as you would expect. The problem arises in the UI the search suggestions box stays visible and all of the UI goes completely non-functional. All while the player keeps playing. I have to restart the application completely to get functionality back. Thanks for addressing this.

Macbook OS X, Australia and not sure what version... I keep reinstalling so I assume it's the latest version.  Hope this issue gets sorted soon! 

Do the steps here help @MarPi ?

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Spotify-Crashing-on-Startup-OSX-Mavericks...

Peter

My issues seem to have been resolved by a recent fix. Thanks.

Today i was trying to open the app, but it kept crashing everytime i opened, then i upgraded it and the same thing happened over and over again, i gave up.

spotify crash.png

having same issue of closing down as soon as i open spotify but only on my computer, works fine on my acer tablet.

unsure of version.

tried uninstalling and then i re-installed and it still doesnt work. shuts down within 5 seconds.

very annoyed please fix ASAP!!!

I hadn't used Spotify in months, i started using it this week, Spotify automatically updated  when i launched it and the first 2 or so play sessions were fine, but now Spotify seems to just crash quite freqently on startup or song play

I was testing just now and it 100% always crashes after clicking the notifications icon. I never had any of these crashing problems before whatever updates we're added over the past few months that i hadn't been using Spotify.

I have tried disabling as many settings as possible that i don't need such as making my playlists online and facebook stuff, i have also tried increasing my cache size to twice that of the current space taken up and setting spotify to high priority in task manager. Nothing has worked.

-- Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit)

-- 0.9.8.296.g91f68827

-- United Kingdom, England

@Lightstylez - If it started happening after an update, it's worth trying a clean re-installation in case the update broke any files or anything:
http://support.spotify.com/learn-more/faq/#!/article/reinstallation-of-spotify

Peter

Just uninstalled/reinstalled. same freezing issues

Windows 7 professional

Not sure what version since I can't get into it

in the USA

Spotify crashed while listening to Work Pop playlist.

Now opens and immediately crashes out. Is not in task manager either.

Suggested posts