Premium

Country

US

Device

Macbook Pro (16-inch, 2019)

Operating System

Catalina 10.15.7

My Question or Issue

The Spotify app started crashing on startup out of the blue.

I followed the instructions to uninstall it fully following these instructions:
https://community.spotify.com/t5/FAQs/How-can-I-perform-a-clean-reinstall-of-the-app/ta-p/4746485

I then re-installed and opened the app. The second I logged in the app crashed again.

I repeated the uninstall/re-install process, this time turning off Hardware Acceleration (suggested in another post). This had no effect.

The only log message I can find that looks remotely interesting in the system logs is the following:

Spotify Helper [1004/161639.955822⚠️process_memory_mac.cc(93)] mach_vm_read(0x7ffeed012000, 0x2000): (os/kern) invalid address (1)

This is really frustrating.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @, welcome to the Community.

Hope you're doing great!

Try entering Safe Mode and opening Spotify there.

To enter safe mode simply hold Shift until you see the Apple logo boot up.

If it isn't helping try to follow the steps again to completely uninstall the app and any remains then go again on Safe mode. Wait for a bit in Safe mode then restart and try to install Spotify again from here.

Keep me posted 🙂

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @, welcome to the Community.

Hope you're doing great!

Try entering Safe Mode and opening Spotify there.

To enter safe mode simply hold Shift until you see the Apple logo boot up.

If it isn't helping try to follow the steps again to completely uninstall the app and any remains then go again on Safe mode. Wait for a bit in Safe mode then restart and try to install Spotify again from here.

Keep me posted 🙂

This fixed the issue Loxer (thank you so much) but I still want to understand why, any idea?

If Spotify ever reads their own support forums — it concerns me that Spotify stopped functioning out of the blue, this is a ridiculous number of steps to go through to fix your application.

Hey @mattbakerpdx,

I'm glad that this worked for you!

This is just my idea but it might have been some corrupted file that might have caused this issue with Spotify crashing.

Going into safe mode usually triggers the OS functions to check and fix any possible issues as well as clean different files that are no longer needed.

So this has happened again and I'm back at square one. I can't boot into safe mode every time I want to listen to music so it looks like I'll be signing up for Apple Music 🙂 It was good while it lasted Spotify 👋

Hey @mattbakerpdx,

Sorry for the delay and that this error keeps interrupting you from enjoying Spotify.

If you can, try using the Web Player and check if you notice any weird behavior or if it works just fine that way. 

Also, if you use local files try to toggle off the setting for Local Files, sometimes it affects the behavior of the app.

Could you also try to log in with a different Spotify account to see if the issue persists?

Let me know how it goes.

Suggested posts