Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Connect slow to connect to my receiver

Solved!

Spotify Connect slow to connect to my receiver

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Macbook Air 2020, Onkyo TX8260 stereo receiver

Operating System

Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7

My Question or Issue

I have been using Spotify Connect to stream to my Onkyo receiver from my Mac for two years, originally from an old MacBook Pro and since spring of 2020 a MacBook Air (Intel, Catalina).  The receiver has buil-in support for Spotify Connect as well as other streaming like TIDAL, Deezer, Chromecast, Bluetooth, AirPlay, TuneIn Radio, etc.

In the last few days, the time before Spotify shows it is connected has become very long. It used to be only a few seconds. I am now having to quit Spotify, relaunch and try to connect again. This usually works but even when it finally connects it's still much longer than previously. Once connected, playback is OK. I've looked at the status of my WiFi and see no changes in the speed of my connection.

I checked to make sure I have the latest verison of Spotify installed on my Mac 11.**bleep**.612.gb7409abc. I have the latest verison of Catalina 10.15.7 and the latest firmware for my Onkyo as well. Rebooting the Onkyo and MacBook has no effect.

Any help appreciated.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Reinstall was not needed.

Rather than having Spotify initiate the connection to the receiver, I set the receiver to Spotify Connect as the input first. Then Spotify did recognize the receiver as an available device from both my laptop and my phone. Since then Spotify has been able to initiate the connection properly. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies

It gets evn better.

The reason it is slow to connect is ithat Spotify no longer sees the receiver as a Spotify Connect device, only as Chromecast ("Google Cast") device. I tried from my iPhone and it's exactly the same. 

When I select the Chromecast target, it still won't connect.

I can do a workaround of using Bluetooth or AirPlay to stream from my phone to the receiver but I can control Spotify using my receiver's remote and do not require Spotify to be open on either my phone or Mac...they don't even need to be powered on! Or at least that's how it worked for two years.

First Spotify stopped working with my iPod, now my receiver. How many devices do I have to purchase to make it work? I can see my subscription coming to an end really soon.  @#$#$%#$%$%^ Apple Music is in my future. 

Hey there @mudbucker

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. 

First up, it's well worth running a clean reinstall to get rid of any cached files that might be causing trouble. This one is more thorough than the usual one. 

If this doesn't do the trick, would you mind trying with a different internet connection to check if that makes the difference?

Let us know how it goes 🙂

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp
Marked as solution

Reinstall was not needed.

Rather than having Spotify initiate the connection to the receiver, I set the receiver to Spotify Connect as the input first. Then Spotify did recognize the receiver as an available device from both my laptop and my phone. Since then Spotify has been able to initiate the connection properly. 

Hey @mudbucker,

Thanks for keeping us posted 🙂

Glad to hear that everything is working as expected again.

If you need anything else, the Community is here for you.

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts