Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Error Message: Failed to enable Spotify Social

Solved!

Error Message: Failed to enable Spotify Social

I seem to be unable to dismiss the error message shown below "Failed to enable Spotify Social".  I'm a premium member and do not want to enable Facebook integration (you can see below that I have not done so), yet I continue to get this error message.

If this is a known bug, is there a resolution date?

-Cameron

[edit: 3/26/2012, replaced hosted image due to bandwidth limits]

annoyance.png

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I've noticed the same Error Message: Failed to enable Spotify Social. When I was getting this message I was logging in with my username & password that I made when I signed up with Spotify (not my Facebook login). So, I closed the app, reopened and logged in with my Facebook login; everything was back to normal, no error message. Then, I closed the app again, logged in with my original login (not Facebook), and it's still working great.

My theory is, there was a Spotify app update a while back, and I'm thinking I haven't logged in with my Facebook login since then, so it didn't know what to connect to (hence the error message). So, I think, to rectify the error, login in once with your Facebook login. Although, this doesn't resolve the error for those who don't want to connect their Facebook account with Spotify.

It's in your court Spotify.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Hi everyone- Just want to clarify a few things here. If you have a Spotify username and didn't sign up through Facebook (like @A7sus44, @daddyoakhaven, @mhaeberli) there's no necesity to link with Facebook. 

However, if you're receiving this 'Failed to enable' message, please try the steps below: 

1. Open your Preferences page: Edit > Preferences (in Windows) or Spotify > Preferences (in Mac)

2. Press Connect to Facebook

3. Wait until Facebook login opens and press the Cancel button (if you don't want to link to your Facebook page). 

If you joined via Facebook you'll just need to make sure your FB profile remains active. FB users that keep receiving this message should get in touch via the contact form.

View solution in original post

31 Replies

Spotify social and Facebook integration are not the same thing, so that error message is referring to something else.  If you go back into the preferences screen, scroll all the way to the top, uncheck the item labeled "Share my activity on Spotify Social" and quit and re-open Spotify, that message should go away.  I'm not sure what the cause is, but that may help you!

"Share my activity on Spotify Social" was already unchecked.

Also, clicking the close icon on the error makes it go away for about 10 seconds, then it re-appears.  So, it's incredibly irritating.

Any further suggestions?

-Cameron

I'm getting the same error all day. Didn't have it on my other machine but when I restarted Spotify it appears, and neither machine will connect to either my friend list, nor facebook...

I am having the same problem and am paying for Premium membership, also. I share playlists with a few of my friends, and because of this error I can't. I have spent way too much time this morning and last night trying to figure out a solution. I've reinstalled, logged out and back in, etc, and nothing changes. I am not happy.

There seem to be other threads about this too, including several users canceling due to lack of resolution.

Hello Spotify?  Are you listening?  Are you there? Do you care?

-Cameron

Been seeing the exact same thing since at least last week.

Marked as solution

I've noticed the same Error Message: Failed to enable Spotify Social. When I was getting this message I was logging in with my username & password that I made when I signed up with Spotify (not my Facebook login). So, I closed the app, reopened and logged in with my Facebook login; everything was back to normal, no error message. Then, I closed the app again, logged in with my original login (not Facebook), and it's still working great.

My theory is, there was a Spotify app update a while back, and I'm thinking I haven't logged in with my Facebook login since then, so it didn't know what to connect to (hence the error message). So, I think, to rectify the error, login in once with your Facebook login. Although, this doesn't resolve the error for those who don't want to connect their Facebook account with Spotify.

It's in your court Spotify.

I'm getting the same problem, it's incredibly irritating, Spotify, please do something about this, profoundly annoying. 

@rjm5533 It's entirely possible that I could login using Facebook and the problem would go away, but that's exactly what I absolutemly do not want to do.  Essentially, your solution is "reveal all your Facebook data to spotify and they will make the pain stop".

Not gonna happen.  

Lame.

@cameronc I agree, it seems very lame. Sorry.

I'm getting this today. I purchased my first Spotify gift card yesterday, because I don't have a credit card, because their security is too low and I like to avoid any hassle of getting a new card if it gets hacked.

Anyway, first I listened to Spotify using my Mac Pro 8-Core. Just in case I shut down Spotify on Mac Pro and started listening with MacBook Pro. So switching my PC seems to cause this problem in my case.

Hey people! If you only want to get rid of the message, try "File": "Log Out". I also tried some other stuff.

I have managed to get rid of the 'Failed to enable Spotify Social' red flag. I have recently deactivated my Facebook account but forgot to uncheck Account Settings>Notifications>Other>Spotify.

I had to go back, re-activate my Facebook account temporarily, uncheck the box then de-activate my Facebook account.

Posted as solved.  NOT solved in my view.

RIGHT.   This is supremely annoying.  I like Spotify.  I pay monthly for Spotify.  I have no interest in looking like a douche by sharing my impeccable musical taste with my billions of FB friends whose musical taste I also don't give a crap about.  Please fix this Spotify folks.

This is really annoying.  I do not use facebook.  Once upon a time I did.  I deactivated months ago.  Can we get a real solution to this from the developer please?

Marked as solution

Hi everyone- Just want to clarify a few things here. If you have a Spotify username and didn't sign up through Facebook (like @A7sus44, @daddyoakhaven, @mhaeberli) there's no necesity to link with Facebook. 

However, if you're receiving this 'Failed to enable' message, please try the steps below: 

1. Open your Preferences page: Edit > Preferences (in Windows) or Spotify > Preferences (in Mac)

2. Press Connect to Facebook

3. Wait until Facebook login opens and press the Cancel button (if you don't want to link to your Facebook page). 

If you joined via Facebook you'll just need to make sure your FB profile remains active. FB users that keep receiving this message should get in touch via the contact form.

Thank you Meredith, this seems to have worked!  Smiley Happy

worked!!!!! :)))

---- Always Spotify Premium!! ----
I'm a serious musicaddict and proud of it
From Sweden and lives in Sweden!

Suggested posts