Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Friend feed doesn't show even though I have it set to show

Solved!

Friend feed doesn't show even though I have it set to show

My Question or Issue

I have had Spotify free on my MacBook for three or four years and only just discovered that I am supposed to be able to see what my friends are listening to. I have toyed with the settings over and over again, but it doesn't show the friend feed. After searching Spotify Community, I saw that some people have a blank space where the friend feed is supposed to load and doesn't, but I don't even have a space for it. I have restarted Spotify, pressed every button that could possibly relate to a friend feed in the settings menu, and asked people I know what they think I should do, but I can't get the friend feed to show up. 

Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Screen Shot 2019-01-16 at 5.15.31 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-01-16 at 5.23.56 PM.png

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

@Violinist14

No worries 🙂

You can see your screen resolution by doing this:

1. Click on Apple icon on the top left corner.

2. Navigate to About This Mac --> More Info --> Graphics/Display.

Small screen resolutions will keep the Friend Feed bar hidden at all times. You may try zooming out in the Spotify app which you can do by clicking the menu dots - View - Zoom Out.

Let me know how you get on 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Hey @Violinist14

That sounds strange! The right sidebar (where Friend Activity appears in) should pop up when you go to menu dots - View - Friend Activity.
When enabled, that menu item has a checkmark in front.

I'd suggest reinstalling your Spotify app. It could be that your app needs a little refresh. 🙂

Follow this article as a guide, restart the computer before redownloading Spotify.

Let me know how it goes!

SebastySpotify Star

Thank you for the quick reply! I tried following the instructions on the website you sent, but when the installation was complete, it still didn't show the friend feed. I checked and re-checked the "Friend Activity" in View but the feed doesn't show. I think I may have to give up...Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 4.50.25 PM.png

@Violinist14

No need to give up yet, let's try a few other things 🙂

You can try disabling hardware acceleration - you'll find it when you follow this path:

1. click on the arrow-down to the right of your username

2. select Settings
3. scroll down, click on Advanced Settings
4. Scroll down to Compatibility and turn off (make it grey) 'Hardware Acceleration'.

Also, what is your screen resolution?

Let me know 🙂

SebastySpotify Star

I switched Hardware Acceleration on and off several times, but nothing happened. Although I didn't see it in my settings menu, so I was using the drop down menu at the top of the screen. Anyway, the friend feed is still nowhere to be seen. 

I actually have no idea what my screen resolution is or how to find that out...sorry....I'm not too much of an electronics person, as you can probably tell. 😜 

Marked as solution

@Violinist14

No worries 🙂

You can see your screen resolution by doing this:

1. Click on Apple icon on the top left corner.

2. Navigate to About This Mac --> More Info --> Graphics/Display.

Small screen resolutions will keep the Friend Feed bar hidden at all times. You may try zooming out in the Spotify app which you can do by clicking the menu dots - View - Zoom Out.

Let me know how you get on 🙂

SebastySpotify Star

Oh my goodness, thank you so much!! I pressed "Zoom out" and I can finally see it!!! XD I'm so excited that it finallyyy worked! Thank you!!!

Suggested posts