Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Intermittent Connectivity

Solved!

Intermittent Connectivity

On the latest version of Yosemite, connected to my company's wireless internet which is typically extremely fast.

I've been having Spotify cut in and out all the time and it's only at the office as far as I can tell. The puzzling thing is that it doesn't happen to any of my coworkers.

Any idea what's going on?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Problem seems to have gone away on it's own.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Hi there,
Welcome at the Spotify Community!

You might try the following:

• Go to Edit -> Preferences -> Make sure Hardware acceleration is disabled. If not, please disable it and try again to see if the problem still persists.
  • Go to Edit -> Preferences -> Make sure High Quality Streaming is disabled. If not, please disable it and try again to see if the problem still persists.

If the above didn't work for you, could you please go to a speedtest website (like speedtest.net) and share your download speed with us?

Thanks for the reply. I would do those things, except I *want* hardware acceleration and I *want* high quality streaming.

I'm on a brand new Retina Macbook Pro with maxed specs (it's an office laptop) and an internet connection that streams 1080p videos without breaking a sweat; I find it hard to believe that either of those things are limiting me.

UNLESS - you think that one of those settings is buggy and the performance isn't a problem; just the code that runs them.

Of course I don't think it's your brand new Macbook. Hardware acceleration has been a bad thing for some users when it's about songs that get stuck after 2 seconds for about 15 seconds.

Please let us know if that didn't solve the problem for you. I tag our OS X experts for you; @Jordi @MattSuda

If it's only happens at the office, it likely has nothing to do with hardware acceleration.

It's probably your Internet connection at work that is causing this to happen. Not sure why though…
MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
Marked as solution

Problem seems to have gone away on it's own.

Hi

I too am running Yosemite, and the Spotify update not too many weeks ago  created the same problem, but with a twist. Maybe you have some ideas:

1. Play on the spotify app comes and goes - as if connection is lost.

2. But two things can maintain play:

- if the active window/app is spotify, play resumes without fault. (i.e. if I sit and stare at the app and use it, it works just fine)

- or if I keep clicking my computer mouse in other apps, e.g. browsing, emails etc. (moving the mouse does not help)

It sounds strange, but if play suddenly stops, I just click once witht the mouse anywhere on the screen and play resumes, only to stop or become notchy almost immediately after. If I use the spotify webplayer there does not seem to be a problem - so far. So I imagine the internet connection is not at fault, and that the app is. 

There is no option in the spotify menu as descrived; i.e. the Edit--> Preferences--> hardware acceleration mentioned in the thread, does not exist at all. 

If I have to access preferences its through File-->Preferences - and there still is no option to disable, or enable hardware acceleration. The option to stream high quality is there but it has no effect if it is on or not. 

I have done clean installs, with all the trimmings, which means removed the app, removed files and folders from the cache etc. restarted, reinstalled a clean version - and the probleme persists. 

Everything worked just fine up to the software update - so whats up? 

Suggested posts