Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Is it possible to shuffle a playlist?

Is it possible to shuffle a playlist?

And I don't mean by pressing the shuffle button. I mean it as in shuffle the order in which the songs in the playlist are displayed.  If anyone can help, thank you.

19 Replies

Absolutely, you can truly Randomize your playlist-- without those hated "repeats".  But you will have to do make a little "programming fix" yourself to do this-- as far as I know.  (laughing)

To me, [Randomizing my playlist so that every track plays before there is even one "repeat"] provides 99% of the value of playing music from my Spotify Premium account.

Does anybody have a better idea?

So how do you do it?

I admire you for asking, @user-removed.

Maybe take a look at >> this link. << 

What do you think?  What improvements or shortcuts would you suggest?

That's a good workaround for avoiding repeats, however repeats are not exactly what I wanted to fix.
Thanks for your replies though.

Yes!

(Not officially, but this is a quick work around for playlists with 80 tracks or less)

1. On the desktop app, create another empty playlist.

2. Go to your playlist that you want to shuffle.

3. Press Shuffle button 

4. Start track 1 from your playlist. 

5. Go to Play Queue (this will now show the playlist in a shuffled play queue on the right panel)

6. Select tracks from Play Queue and grag them into your empty playlist.

Your new playlist will now have the same songs, randomly arranged as per the shuffled Play Queue.

Wow, great idea. Thanks!

My playlist has over 1000 songs, but it only shuffles 160 songs into the queue... Is there any way around you can really shuffle more than 160 songs? I'm really getting tired of hearing always the same batch of songs, no matter how I order or shuffle the playlist.

Yes I discovered after I posted that you can only do a limited number of tracks in the play queue.

My solution: Follow initial steps, then when you have copied your first 'batch' of 160 (it's 80 for me) into the new playlist, delete them from play queue. Copy the next batch from play queue. Repeat until all are done. The play queue will still be drawing from initial shuffled playlist with no repeats.

Not actually true for longer lists. There will be repeats despite "Skipping duplicates". Sometimes within ten songs there can be the same song twice.

will you need to add 1 song to 1? or how do you copy all of the songs?

This works perfectly:
http://thoseannoyingdupes.com/randomizer/

(You can drag as many songs into the block as you like)

Follow me

But how do you get it from the website back to the app? I'm using it on my computer and it wont let me drag the link to an empty playlist?

Bravo, @GWRallyJ.  I admire you for continuing to work on this.

It really Is possible to shuffle your playlist!  Please try the following after you randomize your playlist to the Randomized panel of the Website.

* In Spotify, copy any one track into the empty Playlist named "Shuffled"-- You can delete this track later after you have managed to avoid the bugs that Spotify has put into your player.

* LeftClick in the Randomized panel of the Website to highlight the randomized tracks-- Then do Ctrl-C to copy the randomized tracks into the WindowsBuffer.

* Then LeftClick on "Edit" in the upper right of your Spotify player-- Then click the Paste selection under the "Edit" sub-menu.

Other variations on the above may work-- depending on the bugs that Spotify has put into the particular version of the player that you are using.

Is there any hope?  Did that work for you?  Welcome to the Spotify Answer Forum!

I got so frustrated with this that I wrote my own shuffle function that will randomly reorder all the songs in your playlists https://www.playlist.management

This seemed to work at first, but now it crashes leaving a half-filled playlist. What it shuffles, seems to work like a charm, but can't seem to be able to finish it.

Oh no! There might be a particular song it’s failing on. I’ll try to add a more helpful error to help you figure out which one.

Cheers.

If you go into Spotify settings and turn on “Show unavailable songs in playlists” in the Display Options section then go and look at your playlist does that it have any greyed out songs?

Hello, this is possible. There is an external tool https://www.spotify-shuffle.com/.

Suggested posts