Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Keyboard media keys (play/pause) not working

Solved!

Keyboard media keys (play/pause) not working

macOS High Sierra v10.13.6

Spotify v1.0.90.268.ga8a0ceb4

Play/pause/skip track buttons on keyboard no longer working.

- Tried re-starting machine already.

- Tried re-starting app.

- Tried plugging/unplugging keyboard.

- Media keys function with other apps (Keynote, iTunes, etc).

- Aforementioned apps not open while using Spotify.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I had the some problem and after digging in for some time, I found a solution that worked for me. Google Chrome was 'hijacking' my media keys with the Google Play Music extension. Deleting or disabling this resolved the issue for me.

More information about the solution can be found here.

Hope this helps somebody else.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Hi there!

I know it sounds simple, but it's often overlooked. Could you try restarting your device? If that doesn't help, try a quick clean reinstall of the app. Just follow these steps. I'd also recommend upgrading to macOS Mojave 10.14 🙂

If you're still having trouble, could you let me know the exact version of Spotify and the exact version of the operating system you're running?

I'll see what I can suggest next!

I have a similar issue: I just upgraded from High Sierra to Mojave (10.14.1), and here is what I do:

- Open Spotify

- Navigate to another screen or app

- Press the Play media key to start playback

Expected result: Spotify should resume playing the last track it was on.

Actual result: iTunes starts.

Note: if I manually start playback on Spotify (by clicking Play or selecting another song), then the media keys will work when other apps have the focus. Otherwise, iTunes steals the media keys focus.

I tried a clean install of Spotify, no change.

Hey,

Please try playing something on iTunes. Then using the keyboard shortcuts, try stopping/playing the song you're playing.

If it does work, close iTunes and re-launch Spotify. Then please check whether it works or doesn't.

If you're curious about the solution, we're simply changing the app macOS assigns the keys to by playing a track using another application.

Let me know about your status.

Marked as solution

I had the some problem and after digging in for some time, I found a solution that worked for me. Google Chrome was 'hijacking' my media keys with the Google Play Music extension. Deleting or disabling this resolved the issue for me.

More information about the solution can be found here.

Hope this helps somebody else.

Thank you so much for posting this — I had the Google Play Music Chrome extension installed but deactivated and it still stole the focus. I've uninstalled it and everything works beautifully again 🙂

Many thanks!

OH MY GOD. THANK YOU.

Suggested posts