Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Mac] Important info for Mac 10.5 users

Solved!

[Mac] Important info for Mac 10.5 users

Every so often improvements that we need to make to the Spotify push the application beyond the capabilities of some older computers or operating systems.

The next update to Spotify desktop will affect Macs running OS X versions earlier than earlier than 10.6 We’re really sorry if you’re affected by this change.

Will you be able to continue to be able to use Spotify ?

Yes. For some time to come you will be able to use Spotify on your OS X 10.5. However, the Spotify application won't receive any more updates.

Ultimately, Spotify will cease to be supported on 10.5, but not just yet. As an example, We had to "deprecate" Mac OS X 10.4 in a similar way this time last year, but the unupdated application should still work on those systems.

29 Replies

Thank you so much!  Back at it 🙂

Is there any further update to this we still can't use our premium spotify account on our 10.5...mac

thanks a lot

Adrian

Forgive me, but I'm getting different information from different folks in different places.

If you're still having trouble with Spotify on your MAc, please reply with this info and I'll take it to the devs:

- Your Mac model (PowerPC, Intel, etc.)

- Your current spotify version

- Last Spotify version that worked correctly for you

- Short description of the issue you're experiencing

Community Ergo Sum

I'm not able to launch Spotify in my Mac. Data:

- Mac Model: MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo. SO: 10.6.8

- Spotify Version: latest from the web (don't know where to check the version number)

- Last version working: I always update Spotify to the latest version, so the previous one worked fine for me.

- Description: I try to launch it, and it tries to start... but keeps trying... and trying... until I force it to close.

Part of the trace of the execution (just in case it helps):

Date/Time: 2013-05-02 12:48:36 +0200
OS Version: 10.6.8 (Build 10K549)
Architecture: x86_64
Report Version: 7

Command: Spotify
Path: Spotify.app/Contents/MacOS/Spotify
Version: ??? (???)
Parent: bash [43873]

PID: 43875
Event: hang
Duration: 5.30s (sampling started after 2 seconds)
Steps: 13 (100ms sampling interval)

Pageins: 0
Pageouts: 0

Process: Spotify [43875]
Path: Spotify.app/Contents/MacOS/Spotify
UID: 501

Thread a1280 DispatchQueue 100
User stack:
13 ??? (in Spotify) [0x152c5]
13 ??? (in Spotify) [0x1a522]
13 ??? (in Spotify) [0xb8ef3]
13 ??? (in Spotify) [0x733ee2]
13 ??? (in Spotify) [0x73374d]
13 ??? (in Spotify) [0x734a66]
13 ??? (in Spotify) [0xb838b]
13 ??? (in Spotify) [0x1fd0f6]
13 ??? (in Spotify) [0x1fcf55]
13 ??? (in Spotify) [0x1fcab2]
13 ??? (in Spotify) [0x1fd786]
13 +[NSURLConnection sendSynchronousRequest:returningResponse:error:] + 142 (in Foundation) [0x918ab1e7]
13 CFURLConnectionSendSynchronousRequest + 419 (in CFNetwork) [0x94ade2c7]
13 CFRunLoopRunInMode + 97 (in CoreFoundation) [0x9252c1f1]
13 CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 452 (in CoreFoundation) [0x9252c3c4]
13 __CFRunLoopRun + 2079 (in CoreFoundation) [0x9252d2df]
13 mach_msg_trap + 10 (in libSystem.B.dylib) [0x90f1cafa]

There does appear to be a possible issue with Spotify on OS X 10.6 the main topic is here

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

this still seems to be updating.

when I log in, it starts updating and then crashes, telling me I can\t use it.

Hi!

I'm having the same problem. I unistalled my previous version and installed the new one, just as the instruccions say, and when I log in, the message "Updating" apears and Spotify quits after some seconds.

I'm a Mac OS X 10.5.8 user, and the version of spotify is the 0.8.5.

I got it working for just a couple of days using Spotify 0.8.5 on Mac OS 10.5.8 after reading the forum instructions but today I'm having the same problems with crash on launch every time.

Today Spotify was failing to launch then Relauncher was failing also.

After following all the uninstall/shutdown/reinstall steps with 0.8.5 again it's now giving me a message which says 'You cannot use this version of the application Spotify with this version of Mac OSX. So either 0.8.5 doesn't work or it's upgrading itself to a version that doesn't work before it even launches.

Frustrated! And still waiting for a response to my request 4 days ago to refund some of my unusable premium subscription.

same problem here. it was working yesterday but stopped today and geting the same message, can\t use this version of spotify with this mac. thinking of just cancelling by sub with spotify unfortunetly. It\s been unusable more days than I could listen to anything. Don\t understand why it has to update all the time, why you can\t just have the option to update.

I have the two locked files in my application support folder too by the way, like I did yesterday when it worked, but today none of that seems to make any difference

It's time we close this thread. But, good news, we have an update for you in here.

Community Ergo Sum

Suggested posts