[Mac] Important info for Mac 10.5 users

Solved!

Re: [Mac] Important info for Mac 10.5 users

Peter__
Community Legend

Yeah, I kinda guessed but always safer to check! Spotify don't appear to have any "official" download pages for PPC, but there are a few old installers in that topic I linked too which should work on PPC. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

mjphoto
Casual Listener

I've just spent an entire afternoon of my life that I won't get back trying to get Spotify to work.

I'm on OSX 10.5.8 and I've followed all the advice on these forums over 10 times. Uninstall reinstall uninstall reinstall over and over. Delete cache files ect over and over. Down load the old version over and over. Restart over and over. Nothing nada zip.

Tried to login in online to access my music that way. Informed over and over that I need Flash updated. I've done that over and over and over. Deleting and reinstalling from Adobe directly. Tried Firefox, Safari and Chrome. Nothing. Still not working. Same pop up about needing an update of Flash.

Factor in the inability of sorting my playlists and having offline playlists that need redownloading every time I open the app on my Iphone 5 and I'm pretty sick of Spotify right now. I can't tell you how frustrated I am with the whole experience. It used to be good. I pay £9.99 a month to be annoyed by this software and I used to tell everyone how great it was.

I' don't expect a solution to this and Spotify aren't really trying to provide one. I'm just ranting in the vain hope that someone at Spotify might take it on board and pause briefly in the knowledge that thier customers aren't very happy. 

I wish I still had that CD collection.

Peter__
Community Legend

@mjphoto wrote:

I've just spent an entire afternoon of my life that I won't get back trying to get Spotify to work.

I'm on OSX 10.5.8 and I've followed all the advice on these forums over 10 times. Uninstall reinstall uninstall reinstall over and over. Delete cache files ect over and over. Down load the old version over and over. Restart over and over. Nothing nada zip.

Tried to login in online to access my music that way. Informed over and over that I need Flash updated. I've done that over and over and over. Deleting and reinstalling from Adobe directly. Tried Firefox, Safari and Chrome. Nothing. Still not working. Same pop up about needing an update of Flash.

Factor in the inability of sorting my playlists and having offline playlists that need redownloading every time I open the app on my Iphone 5 and I'm pretty sick of Spotify right now. I can't tell you how frustrated I am with the whole experience. It used to be good. I pay £9.99 a month to be annoyed by this software and I used to tell everyone how great it was.

I' don't expect a solution to this and Spotify aren't really trying to provide one. I'm just ranting in the vain hope that someone at Spotify might take it on board and pause briefly in the knowledge that thier customers aren't very happy. 

I wish I still had that CD collection.

Hey :) 

Did you try using the installer in this post

Also, are you using an Intel or PPC mac?

Peter

Peter

Stupify
Community Legend

They have broken 0.8.5 on all platforms. You have no choice but to wait for a fix again, the problem seems to be server side and it has something to do with the What's New page and other webpages, like Spotify Apps.

Alternatively you could find the latest 0.6.x version for Mac somewhere and use the "read-only update files" trick to prevent an update to 0.8.5. That version does not have a browser inside and it has been working fine so far. Note that this version does not have the Facebook friend feed or Spotify Apps.

Peter__
Community Legend

I have escalated this to the Spotify team again as an issue. Hang tight hopefully it will be sorted out quickly this time!

Peter

Peter

mjphoto
Casual Listener

Hi Peter, 

Thanks and yes I tried that. I've been through all the forums and posts here and elsewhere. No good. I appreciate you replying.

Best,

Mark.

olejon
Roadie

@Stupify wrote:

Alternatively you could find the latest 0.6.x version for Mac somewhere and use the "read-only update files" trick to prevent an update to 0.8.5. That version does not have a browser inside and it has been working fine so far. Note that this version does not have the Facebook friend feed or Spotify Apps.

It does not have the new radio either, but if you can live without those features, it's the fastest, most stable and resource-friendly Spotify ever, at least on Windows & Linux.

SpotCommander - The most elegant, intuitive, feature-rich & universal remote control for Spotify, exclusive for Linux users!

mjphoto
Casual Listener

Thanks Peter,

Though 'Sorted Out', 'Quickly' and 'Spotify' are words that you're unlikely to hear in a sentence together. 

Peter__
Community Legend

Hence word "hopefully"! 

There was a large topic on the super user area when this issue first occured, I have just dug out that topic with some angry words to get some attention from the Spotify staff! 

Peter

Peter

Vinny1941
Casual Listener

Peter,

thank you so much! I need find something on that thread that helped and Spotify is back up and running on my venerable Apple!!

Cheers

Vince

SUGGESTED POSTS