Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Mac desktop app bluetooth speaker volume lowering automatically

Solved!

Mac desktop app bluetooth speaker volume lowering automatically

When playing music in the Spotify Desktop app for Mac over my bluetooth speakers (Argon Alto 4 Active) the volume of my speakers are lowering automatically.

This happens randomly in the middle of a song and keeps happening every X (feels like 10 or 15 but haven't timed it) minutes.

The system volume and Spotify app volume will stay full, the app is actually lowering the volume of the speakers themselves which is pretty strange (I bought the speakers recently and was about to return them until I had the idea to test some other apps).

I already tried disabling the normalize volume setting, but this doesn't help.

This issue doesn't occur in any other apps, and also not in the Spotify Web Player.

Also doesn't occur when using a cable.

Plan

Premium

Device

Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014)

Operating System

macOS High Sierra, 10.13.6

Spotify Version

1.0.88.353.g15c26ea1, but I also had this in previous versions.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi! I hope you're doing fine!

Have you tried deleting Spotify completely and reinstalling? You should delete Spotify first, then restart your computer and download and install it again.
It's often overlooked. Please let me know if this worked!

Have a nice day!

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Hi!

I'm using a Mac, so I don't have an appdata folder.

Tonight I'll look around in the ~/Library and /Library folders to see if I can find some more Spotify related folders.

Edit: I reïnstalled by also removing the ~/Library/Application Support/Spotify folder and it's been playing music without dropping the volume for about an hour now!

View solution in original post

13 Replies
Marked as solution

Hi! I hope you're doing fine!

Have you tried deleting Spotify completely and reinstalling? You should delete Spotify first, then restart your computer and download and install it again.
It's often overlooked. Please let me know if this worked!

Have a nice day!

Hi!

I am, hope you are too!

Thanks for your answer, I have tried reïnstalling, this didn't work.

I didn't however try it with also removing the caches, so I just did. However, with the caches removed Spotify is still automatically logged in after the reïnstall, is there something more I need to delete to remove everything?

Hi! 

I found this solution, I hope it helps!

Windows 7:

Click the start button, type "%appdata%" into it without the quotation marks.

Delete the folder marked spotify

If it says that spotify is open, then right click spotify on the taskbar and click quit spotify.

Marked as solution

Hi!

I'm using a Mac, so I don't have an appdata folder.

Tonight I'll look around in the ~/Library and /Library folders to see if I can find some more Spotify related folders.

Edit: I reïnstalled by also removing the ~/Library/Application Support/Spotify folder and it's been playing music without dropping the volume for about an hour now!

This was happening for me too, only from my MacBook and only when connected to Bluetooth. I found that disabling the "Normalize Volume" option in the settings seems to have helped but not fully solved it.

Hi there - 

I'm also on a MacBook Pro, but I don't have that Spotify folder in my Application Support folder to delete. I tried uninstalling/reinstalling the app, and I've spoken to my sound bar manufacturer (Vizio) and Apple. We've narrowed it down to being a Spotify software compatibility issue that occurred after the last OS update  -  I'm running Monterrey 12.4. Any other answers or workarounds anyone could suggest? I'm at a loss. Thanks!

I'm also on a MacBook Pro, but I don't have that Spotify folder in my Application Support folder to delete. I tried uninstalling/reinstalling the app, and I've spoken to my sound bar manufacturer (Vizio) and Apple. We've narrowed it down to being a Spotify software compatibility issue that occurred after the last OS update  -  I'm running Monterrey 12.4. Any other answers or workarounds anyone could suggest? I'm at a loss. Thanks!

I see I never updated this topic. For me it kept happening again later, so I called the store I bought the speaker from. The issue turned out to be a defective speaker. After swapping it at the store for the same model I never had this issue again.

Hi broadbeanprop - 

I've already spoken with Vizio (speaker manufacturer) 6 times and determined 1) it's not a problem on their end, it's Spotify's; and 2) my surround sound sound bar system is just out of warrantee, so replacing it isn't an option for me.

Is there any advice you or the forum can give regarding getting in touch with the proper department/agents at Spotify to alert them to this issue and get it resolved?

Thanks! -Elena

Hi Elena,

This is my first and only topic on this forum and I am not here casually, so I'm afraid I can't really help you. I did find some contact information here, you might have already tried this, but if not, maybe it helps: https://www.spotify.com/ca-en/about-us/contact/

I hope they'll be able to fix it!

Ah gotcha - well this link is extremely helpful. I'll chat with them this afternoon and report back on our findings.

Thanks so much 🙂

No worries, good luck!

Update: I chatted with Spotify Support for 2 hrs yesterday. While we tried several things already mentioned above, plus a hard reinstall of the app, neither the app or the desktop player will play at a normal volume still. So, my case has been escalated to their software development team to look at, and I'm now waiting for an email with further instructions.

Stay tuned, the saga continues!

Suggested posts