NEXT STEP

Mac desktop app only allowing login via web browser +1 more issue

Mac desktop app only allowing login via web browser +1 more issue

Plan- Premium

Country- U.S.

Device- iMac late 2015

Operating System- Mojave 10.14.6

Hi, I have two issues that have suddenly appeared:

1) I can no longer login via the Spotify Mac Desktop; it requires me to login via a web browser. I then receive an automated email from Spotify indicating I am logging in via a new device.

2) After login, the initial album or playlist that I play will have its second song skip ahead 30-40 seconds but will appear as skipping 2-3 seconds in the timebar.

Any resolution to either problem? Thanks.

9 Replies

Hey there @sacred_eye

Thanks for reaching out about this and welcome to the Community. 

Could you let us know what happens exactly when you try to log in to your account on the desktop app? Do you get any error messages? 

We'd recommend that you try performing a clean reinstall of the app on your PC by following these specific steps to check if they make the difference. 

On another note, regarding the second issue you mentioned, would you mind sending us a screen recording of the issue happening? We'll take a closer look. You can attach it to your next response by using the Insert Video option in the post editor. You can also upload it to Google Drive and share the link with us (make sure the video has the permissions for anyone to see it).

We'll be on the lookout.

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

There is no error message, simply no login fields (email and password) on the desktop app and it stating to login via browser.

I solved this issue by changing my password. Email and password login fields reappeared on the desktop app. But if there is a different solution rather than changing the password each time this problem may occur, please provide that here.

As far as the second issue, I don't think a screenshot will provide any clarity. You would have to hear it. Any time I login anew, that first album or playlist I play will always skip ahead 30-40 seconds into the second song but appear as 2-4 seconds in the timebar. After that, play is normal for the duration that I'm logged in.

Hey @sacred_eye,

Thank you for keeping in contact and for the info shared.

With the new description you've sent, it's possible that the issue could be related to some damaged cache stored on your device. In this case, would you mind confirming if you performed the clean reinstall as suggested by @Eni in a previous post? It's possible that both issues get fixed by doing this.

In case the issue persists, could you check on a different device (using your own account) to see if it makes any difference? In case you don't have another device available, you can borrow one from a friend or family member to test it.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.

OscarDCModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Will a clean re-install remove my searches, recently played album, and checked off played podcasts? I would like to retain this information, if possible (especially the played podcasts). Is there a file I can keep, move to the desktop, and then add back to a folder after the re-install?

Hey @sacred_eye,

Thanks for the reply.

A clean reinstall will remove only the recent searches. All the other mentioned info is bound to your account and is not dependent on local cache.

Hope this clears things a bit,

Cheers!

DianModerator

The problem still persists. Re-installed Spotify twice as per instructions in case I missed something the first time.

Spotify works fine on an iPad.

Hi there @sacred_eye,

Sorry to hear that didn't work. 

Can you let us know if you're using any type of VPN or a school/ work network? Such issues with the desktop app might arise if there are blocked networking ports on your network. 

Looking forward for your reply.

AlexModerator

I am listening from home. I think the problem may be the Sonos system; I am using two speakers from Ikea's Symfonisk/Sonos collaboration that utilizes wifi. The router is only 2-3 feet away. The problem never occurred before a few weeks ago. I tried listening with corded earbuds and the skipping problem didn't exist.

Hey @sacred_eye,

Thank you for keeping in contact.

It's possible that the Sonos System is not working well using the app as you mentioned. However, to make sure we're covering all the possible troubleshooting on our end, we'd recommend clearing any entries which contain Spotify from the host files on your computer. To do so, you can follow the instructions in this post (even if it's a different issue).

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.

OscarDCModerator

Suggested posts