Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Memory leak on Mac OS 10.11.5

Solved!

Memory leak on Mac OS 10.11.5

Hi folks,

I have been using spotify desktop client on my Mac. And I have noticed interesting thing recently: application wrote around 30 Gb to disk storage. There are a few screens attached.

DISKDISK

CPUCPU

NetworkNetwork

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

FYI:
The issue was resolved by re-installing of spotify client (removed completely and then installed the latest version from https://www.spotify.com/us/download/mac/ ).
And now spotify client writes 500 mb per day and reads 100 mb per day.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Hi @amisiuryk,

Please try this: scroll down to "Display Options" and disable "Show friend feed". 

This action has solved similar issues from several users. Let me know if this helps you!

BittencourtSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hey @Bittencourt,

Looks like the option with friends feed doesn't work as for 2 hours spotify app wrote 4 Gb on disk 😞

But thanks for advice.

Ok, try going into Settings and switching off all Local Files sources.

You can also reduce your local file sources to the minimum... I also use a Mac and in my Settings I switched off everything except "iTunes".

Also hiding the app helps a lot. I mean hiding it with CMD+H

Let me know if this helps!

BittencourtSpotify Star

Hi @Bittencourt,

I turned off friends feed and reduced all local sources to minimum, spotify still wrote 10 Gb to disk for last 3 hours but I listened music only for 30 minutes.

Well, that's really odd. 

I suggest you get in touch with the customer services team directly using the online contact form and they will be able to assist you with this.

You can also Tweet / DM @@SpotifyCare.

If you get an automated email reply back directing you to the community or help pages, you need to reply directly to that email (even if its from no-reply email address) and one of the customer services agents will get back to you as soon as possible. Give it 24 to 48hrs, also make sure you're checking your Spam/Junk folder because sometimes emails might end up there.

BittencourtSpotify Star
Marked as solution

FYI:
The issue was resolved by re-installing of spotify client (removed completely and then installed the latest version from https://www.spotify.com/us/download/mac/ ).
And now spotify client writes 500 mb per day and reads 100 mb per day.

I have the exact same problem, my MacBook Fans are going crazy, just as well osx is intelligent with memory swapping or the whole computer would crash..

Screen Shot 2017-06-09 at 15.17.07.png

Hey @adz675, have you tried reinstalling Spotify?

This app might help you:

http://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/

When you open up the app, click the search icon and search for Spotify and it will automatically find and delete all files on your computer related to Spotify.

After that, download and reinstall Spotify.

BittencourtSpotify Star

Suggested posts