Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Mojave text issues on non-Retina

Solved!

Mojave text issues on non-Retina

Hi all,

Have just upgraded to Mojave, and I use an external monitor alongside my Retina MacBook Pro (early 2015). However, the fonts look terrible on Spotify when using my non-Retina display.

There's been plenty of chat online about Apple disabling subpixel antialiasing in Mojave (with a few semi-fixes), but none of the text on any other apps (e.g. Chrome) looks as bad as it does on Spotify. On this page, for example, text looks absolutely fine.

Is there a Spotify-side fix that might be possible?

Thanks very much.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

The kind folks at Spotify have changed and cleaned up their fonts, so now they no longer look terrible. Many thanks!

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Yeah, I'm getting the same issue here.

system preferences-general-Use LCD font smoothing when available

Terminal: defaults write -g CGFontRenderingFontSmoothingDisabled -bool NO

restart system

Problem is, my other apps are just fine – so I don't want to start messing around with the system. It's pretty much just Spotify that has issues.

Hey all,

Just thought I'd leave what I've found to help here. If you're comfortable using Terminal, or are willing to take some risks, you can use these two commands to apply a system-wide patch:

$ defaults write -g CGFontRenderingFontSmoothingDisabled -bool NO
$ defaults -currentHost write -globalDomain AppleFontSmoothing -int 1

If that still is too frail looking, you can do this too:

$ defaults -currentHost write -globalDomain AppleFontSmoothing -int 2

Just a reminder that each $ represents a new command. You just need to use what's after the dollar sign; don't paste in the dollar sign 🙂 

Hey @pittaandhummus@ilnurr@peterrojs2 & @user-removed,

Please provide feedback in this form for Apple, always if you haven't already:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/macos.html

It'll be hard to convince them to bring it back since they removed it in the first but the more people report about this, the higher the chance we will have to get this feature back which was removed in macOS Mojave.

Thank you 🙂

Edit: There's also a 0 and 3 option for the provided commands in termnial to get around this font rendering "feature".

Or Spotify could just comply to the new macOS Mojave requirements as opposed to trying to retroactively get things changed...

To be honest, it does seem like an exclusively Spotify issue. All other apps are absolutely fine. Hmph.

Marked as solution

The kind folks at Spotify have changed and cleaned up their fonts, so now they no longer look terrible. Many thanks!

Hi!

I had a similar situation and re-downloading the program wasn't helping. I was able to fix it by doing this:

Open Applications folder -Right-click on Spotify- Click "Get Info" and there you'll see a button that says "open in Low resolutions"- Un-select that and restart the program.

That should fix the blurry fonts and images 🙂 

Screen Shot 2018-12-28 at 8.10.41 PM.png

This fixed the issue for me, with a little twist, the 'Open in Low Resolution' was not checked, so what I did was:
- Check the 'Open in Low Resolution'
- Restart
- Uncheck 'Open in Low Resolution'
- Restart
Then everything went well.

Suggested posts