My spotify won't play anything

Solved!
Highlighted

My spotify won't play anything

addysonw23
Visitor

I have used spotify for a while and have never had any problems, but suddenly it has stopped working. Whenever I try to play a song or playlist off of spotify on my computer it doesn't work. The song will highlight in green but won't play. The time on the bottom doesn't even move either. This has been going on for a week and I can't get it to work. I have logged out and tried multiple different artists to see if it was just certain playlists or songs but nothing has been working. I also the sound on my computer works fine for everything else so it's not that. Can somebody please help me I miss being able to listen to spotify on my computer, thank you!

Addyson

11 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Solution!

Re: My spotify won't play anything

cybersaliva
Music Fan

I had this issue as well. Sometimes I'd hear the song for a second or two, but then I get the green banner at the top of Spotify saying it "Can't play the current track". After resintalling Spotify, clearing my caches and preferences, I FINALLY discovered the problem.

I was a Premium user who just recently cancelled that subscription. Apparently I had a setting checked off called "High Quality Streaming" from when I was a premium member, and after unchecking that I was able to finally listen again. This is definitely something Spotify needs to fix.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Solution!

crimsontompl
I unticked hardware accelaration, high quality (premium user), ticked back the high quality and it works OK now (no hardware acceleration).

Highlighted
Solution!

Elysium
Casual Listener

It started working for me again now, unsure whether this had anything to do with what I did or whether Spotify has resolved it.

Please check the following:

• Open Microsoft Edge

If Edge does not connect to any sites and ignores your working Internet, follow these steps:

• Click "Start", go to run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and press Enter.
  • Click Continue button to verify the administrator permission.
  • Right click the "Network Location Awareness" service and choose Properties.
  • On General tab click Start.
  • Choose Automatic next to Startup type.
  • Click OK.

This fixed Microsoft Edge for me, and Spotify plays as well. Wasn't a problem before, so no idea whether these things are related or not.

Highlighted
Solution!

MattSuda
Community Legend
Highlighted
Solution!

kingbonez92
Casual Listener
Uninstall and reinstall seems to work for me if you're using it on a PC

Highlighted
Solution!

Fullbright12

If you scramble through spotify and still come up short here's another way. Go to the bottom left or start and type in device manager.Click on it and a list should come up. Go to sound,video and game controller. It should then show what audio you have listed . Now delete or uninstall your audio by right clicking it . It should then reregister itself and pop up again like you remember it 😄  . Lastly if that dont work try updating the audio driver in case a update came around for it . Hope this helps .

Highlighted
Solution!

Rock Star 23
Rock Star 23

Hey @OwlLet,

Try a clean reinstall:

Log out of Spotify and then close the program.

Uninstall

Browse to the cache. The default location should be C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Local\Spotify\Storage and delete everything inside the folder.

Delete the folder C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Local\Spotify\Users\<random numbers-user>\ There is a folder for each profile that has been logged into Spotify on that computer account.

Reinstall.

Hopefully that'll fix the issue.

osorniosRock Star 23
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Highlighted
Solution!

Rock Star 23
Rock Star 23

Hey @robbieseelen1 @juliavevans

Try a clean reinstall:

Log out of Spotify and then close the program.

Uninstall

Browse to the cache. The default location should be C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Local\Spotify\Storage and delete everything inside the folder.

Delete the folder C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Local\Spotify\Users\<random numbers-user>\ There is a folder for each profile that has been logged into Spotify on that computer account.

Reinstall.

Hopefully that'll fix the issue.

Also, the issue might appear while using headphones, usb or bluetooth speakers. Try unplugging them out and back in. Hopefully that'll fix it.

If not, this issue is being looked into in this thread. In it, there are several possible solutions. I'm sure one of them will solve it for you.

You should post there if you want to be in the loop of further developments.

Hope it helps. 🙂

osorniosRock Star 23

Highlighted
Solution!

rodder_s
Casual Listener

SOLUTION TO NOT PLAYING

This worked for me without all the hoo haa. Log in to your web player and if you have not done so install the app on the bottom left. I believe I got mine to work straight away after installing the app. You can also access edit/preferences from there if you still have issues and maybe try the hardware acceleration option as well. I had also cleared my history and cache but dont think this had anything to do with it.

Highlighted
Solution!

Solved Re: My spotify won't play anything

rodder_s
Casual Listener

I had some previous issues on Windows 7 and followed a suggestion to change the shortcut by renaming it so I changed the name by adding a 1 and it has worked just fine until recently.. I still had the original shortcut on file so tried that again and it worked so maybe try changing your shortcut. I cant find the original suggestion but if I find it Ill post it.

Highlighted
Solution!

Spotify
Spotify

Hey folks, this thread is very old but is getting quite a lot of page views. 

We're going to close this thread, and highly encourage any expreience issues with Spotify playing to post a new thread in the relevant help board here:

iOS

Android

Desktop (Windows)

Desktop (Mac)

Web Player

This way we can narrow the issue down by device and app version. If we see more than one user reporting issues we can flag it interally. 

Thank you! 

117 Replies
Highlighted

Rock Star 10
Rock Star 10

Hi, sorry to hear you can't get your music to play. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software?

dinomightRock Star 10
Highlighted

hatfieldjm4
Visitor

I am also running into the same problem.  I'm using the Spotify web player on my laptop in a Chrome browser. For me, the song advances for about 2-3 seconds but doesn't play any audio, then stops.  It does the same exact thing when I try to play it in FireFox.  I've never had any problems with Spotify before.  

Highlighted

Tythus
Casual Listener

I am having the same issue I have tried even removing evertyhing I could find about spotify from manualy removeal in the Windows register and all appdata folders the program starts up fine but when I actually have the audacity to play anything it freezes on the spot until windows tells me it's not respond and I close it. This also gives no crash report or anything to me or atleast I cannot see any file in the %localappdata%\Spotify folder mentioned in the sticky at the top of the forum.

Highlighted
Solution!

cybersaliva
Music Fan

I had this issue as well. Sometimes I'd hear the song for a second or two, but then I get the green banner at the top of Spotify saying it "Can't play the current track". After resintalling Spotify, clearing my caches and preferences, I FINALLY discovered the problem.

I was a Premium user who just recently cancelled that subscription. Apparently I had a setting checked off called "High Quality Streaming" from when I was a premium member, and after unchecking that I was able to finally listen again. This is definitely something Spotify needs to fix.

Highlighted

CloudPersona
Visitor

THANK YOU!
Finally I know why Spotify wouldn't play anything. No need to uninstall and reinstall it, rollback audio drivers or update Quicktime (for god's sake!). I have never been a premium user bar the free trial aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages ago but when I checked my preferences, high quality streaming was ticked. I unticked it and it wouldn't let me tick it again (naturally, it's a premium feature) and now things work again. Looks like Spotify have mucked up the preferences for a lot of people. 

Highlighted

Casual Listener

hi ,

spotify won't play anymore than one song . Then it doesn't play anything 

Highlighted

ollipolli1999
Visitor
I have the same issue tho i can play songs outside of the playlists like for an example: I press the song in my playlist, it highlights green but doesn't play or anything but if i go to the artists page and press the song it can play.

I've tried everything, uninstalling, turning on and off the high quility streaming option but it won't work.
Highlighted

cybersaliva
Music Fan
Does this happen with all of your playlists? Are they playlists you've made personally, or playlists you follow?
Highlighted

nmaysaud
Visitor

I have the same problem but I AM a premium user. I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling and it wouldn't work. I got this since the update and didn't find anything helpful so far.

SUGGESTED POSTS